Thirty-Three

Thirty-Three

April came with heavy rain and humidity.

The lightning crackled and the wind whipped through my hair as I sat out on the porch, quietly reading the new book Dylan had suggested. 

I heard the glass door slide open, and my mom walked out on to the porch, holding out a cup of tea to me.

"It's pretty muggy out here."

She gestured the tea cup in my direction, and I took it from here; letting the heat from the cup soak into my frigid hands.

"How's the book?"

"Really good actually..."

I closed it, marking my page and moving my hand along the front cover.

"Dylan always says that the sequels are never as good as the orignal, but he's given this one  a lot of credit. I can see why."

She nodded tastefully, biting the side of her lip like she was deep in thought. She looked up at me, as if having a question on the edge of her tounge, but not finding the force to let it slip from her lips.

"Is everything alright?"

"Amber-"

Catching herself, she hesitated. 

"Are you happy?"

I blinked, staring at her blankly.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Why do you ask?"

My mom took a deep breath, leaning back in her chair. 

"The whole situation with Tina- I know it must be hard."

My finger's clenched around the cover of the book, and I felt uncomfortable. I didn't want to talk about Tina right now, everything had been perfect lately, and even the thought of my deserter once best friend made me sick to my stomach.

Instead of lashing out, I smiled and spoke as gently as I could.

"It's alright. I'm sure everything's going to be okay."

She looked at me, unconvinced, but not in such a way she was going to comment. She rose from her chair, and headed for the door.

"I'll let you get back to your book. Enjoy the tea, it's Earl Grey. I know it's your favorite."

"Thanks."

I smiled at her and she nodded curtly, walking inside. 

She stood at the door for a moment, looking over at me in a silent observation, before she retreated back into the depths of the house.

April came with heavy rain and humidity.