Six

Six

"See this one will never be as good as the first one."

I had finished the first book in the series in only a day, and I had just gotten around to going back to the bookstore to purchase the sequel. Dylan wrapped it up, placed it in a bag, and handed it to me with a smile.

"'I'm hoping you're wrong and that this one is even better then the first one."

He laughed.

"Nah."

"Are you ready to go yet?"

Steven had decided to accompany me to the bookstore that moment. He told me it was for sentimental value since we had first met there, but I was starting to feel suffocated in his presence. The relationship it's self had continued to turn sour since that night at the ice rink for me; it felt more like control and power, rather then the love I had once thought it was.

"Give her a second... Jeez man." Dylan sighed, laughing off the comment.

Steven's hand tensed up on my shoulder.

"Listen, unlike you, I have better things to do then sit in this bookstore while she discusses a new novel with you-"

"But does she?"

Steven's grip loosened slightly. He stared at Dylan in confusion; his eyes flickering between the both of us.

"Does she what?"

"Have better places to be." Dylan blinked; as if his question was obvious. "Does she have better places to be?"

Both sets of eyes fell on me.

"She is a person you know..." Dylan continued, looking at me longingly; almost reading my mind for the thoughts my voice couldn't bear to fathom into words.

He knew...

He knew I was unhappy.

He saw the way I had tensed up when Steven had walked over; wanting to melt into a puddle on the floor. Dylan wasn't foolish, he saw through the front I kept trying to put up that this was what I wanted; a man to keep me, cherish me, and control for me each second of the day.

I started to laugh.

"Of course not! Sorry babe..." I took my bag off of the counter and reached up to kiss Stevn's lips. I felt sick to my stomach as his lips touched mine, but I forced myself to take his hand as we walked towards the door.

Dylan's unhappy eyes followed us all the way to the door.

He had offered an escape plan, and I had declined to take it.