Seven

Seven

Tina wasn't returning my calls.

I was nervous, usually she replied instantaneously; her phone was always clutched in her manicured fingernails.

The moonlight streamed through my window and reflected down on my pale purple bed sheets. I sat up straight, tossed my phone towards the wall, and stood up to slip on some jeans. This wasn't Tina, surely something wasn't right.

My window was atop the beginning of the roof, so I slid it open and heaved myself up and onto the panelings. I let the wind rustle through my hair, guiding me down the the edge as I thrust myself off and down into the grass.

Tina's house was right down the street, so I began the brisk walk through the cold wind blowing up and around my arms. The street was vacant, so I ran across and finally reached her house.

All the lights were off; and the dead silence was only awakened by the eerie wind that I couldn't seem to get off of my mind.

Her room was on the first floor, so I rushed towards the window and began tapping on the glass. There was no answer, so I continued knocking against it, just more forcefully and at a faster frequency.

I heard a groan from inside and footsteps that headed towards the window. Tina pulled back the curtains; her eyes red and her face puffy. I could tell she had been crying. Slowly, she pulled the window open and tried to wipe some of the tears that had spilled onto her cheeks on her shirt sleeve.

"Are you alright?" I asked her, lifting myself into the window.

Tina nodded her head, heading over to her bedside and taking a long drink from the glass that sat on it. When she placed it down, she rolled over on the bed and faced away from me.

I walked over to her bedside and lifted the glass she had taken a drink of and smelt it.

Whiskey...

I laughed. "Are you hungover or something?"

Tina didn't speak, only continued staring at the wall in the opposite direction of me. My face fell.

"Tina...." I walked over to the other side of her bed and sat down so that I could see her face.

"Please tell me what's wrong..."

I pushed her arm gently.

"Come on... It can't be that bad. You know you can talk to me about anything."

"Maybe somethings you just won't understand Amber. Maybe if I told you, you'd never look at me the same way again and maybe that's something that I can't handle. You're too inmature. "

Tina huffed wrapping the blankets tigher over her arms.

"Somethings are better left unsaid. I'll be fine, okay? Don't worry about it..."

Tina flipped over on to her stomach and I knew it was time for me to leave.