Chapter 38

A.C.

"But where are we going?" I asked again, for the fifth time.

"I told you, it's a surprise."

With a strained and repressed cry, my fingers curl to make a strangling gesture. "But if I'm supposed to go along with this, the least you could do is tell me where we're going!"

"You'll know once we get there." 

Like a petulant child, I only pout and sulk. When did he have time to make such arrangements? And where the hell did the camera come from?

"How much longer till we get there?"

"God. A trip to Disney world must have been torture for your parents," Edward mumbled.

Scoffing, I cross my arms defiantly and turn towards him with a theatrical huff. "I was a perfect child, thank you very much. And besides, I wouldn't complain if we were going to Disney World." I mumble the last bit, but it was the honest truth – Nick was the nagging and inquisitive child growing up, not me.

"Fine, we'll go to Disney World next time, satisfied?" The sarcasm laced in his words is just too tempting to resist not retaliating.

"Hmm, as long as I get to ride those cute little tea cups and hug Mickey, I guess I'd agree to that." I reply sweetly turning back to look out the window, my response only making him chuckle.

 "Just wait another five minutes."

 Glancing at Edward from the corner of my eye, I gnaw on my lip as anxiousness arises within me. "I still don't understand why this is all necessary."

He shrugs, avoiding my inquisitive gaze. "To keep you from being labeled a liar." 

Rolling my eyes, I send the smug bastard a death glare before sulking further into my seat.

This is all my damn fault! How could such a small thing to slip out of my mouth, have such grave consequences...they weren't grave in a dooming sense, but this only complicates where Edward and I stand. The closer I get to understanding my own feelings, the farther away we end up being because the situation "calls" for it.

"Why the grim expression?" Edward questioned, his choice of words feeling as if they assert my thoughts.

"It's not grim," I replied.

"It is."

"It isn't."

"It's-"

"My expression is perfectly void of any emotion!" Grunting, I huff out some steam and shift jerkily, focusing my eyes away from his periphery.  

"Prickly, aren't we?"

"If you know what's good for you, then keep your mouth closed. I thought you wanted me to stay quiet? I can't exactly do that, if you insist on engaging in a conversation."

"Threatening me, again? And you're forgetting this is my car? And I just offered to take you to Disney World!"

"You were being serious?" I asked surprised.

There's an unreadable passivity to his expression as he considers my words. "You thought I wasn't?" 

Shrugging my shoulders, his expression turns mildly bitter as he shakes his head in disbelief. "Still not taking my words literally. You make everything more difficult, you know that?"

"Erm, you mean Disney World, correct?" I questioned slowly, tilting my head sideways.

 I don't follow his words anymore – what exactly does he want me to take literally?