Chapter 38

Micky and Gabby were set to meet on Wednesday, April 30. He called Gabby at her office and asked her where she'd like to meet. "I don't know, but it's been a long day, I'm starving and I feel like celebrating, so let's go somewhere to eat."

Micky's ears pricked up. "Celebrating? What are we celebrating?"

Gabby said mysteriously "I'll tell you when we drink a non-alcoholic toast to it tonight."

Micky responded "Oooh, that sounds intriguing! Okay, well I'm feeling nostalgic and I think we ought to go where everything started for us. Let's go to Eat At Ed's diner."

"You mean that place is still there?"

"Indeed it is! I drove by it just to make sure it's not a dump. Well, not any dumpier than it was when we used to go there. How about it?"

"Sure, I'm game. I'll see you there at 7:00."

"Are you going to bookend with someone?"

"Yes. I'm going to call Dawn, since she's the only one who's always by her phone day or night. When I told her that, she got pissed at me and threatened to unplug the phone." Gabby giggled.

"Hahaha! Well, she's the one who's been playing matchmaker to us, at least now she's got some of her privacy back, though I do hope you'll still keep coming around on weekends. I look forward to it."

"I confess I do too, particularly when you get hot and sweaty and take your shirt off. Gottagobye!" Gabby hung up the phone real quick and didn't let Micky get another word in and just left that comment hanging in the air, as she chuckled to herself.

Micky grinned and got a pleasant feeling in his belly and nether regions. He hung up the phone, then went in search of something fetching to wear on his date with Gabby.

Robert noticed Gabby had a spring in her step as she was gathering up her things and getting ready to leave the office. He was leaning up against the door and watching her pirouette around her office. "Got a hot date tonight, boss?"

"Wouldn't you like to know, Mister Man?"

"Well listen, just remember, nice girls don't kiss on the first date."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." She tugged on his ponytail as she walked by and swanned out the door.

When she got to Ed's, Micky had already commandeered a booth and was waving her over. She smiled and told the host that her friend already had been seated. Micky stood up when she got to the booth, like a real gentleman, and kissed her on the cheek. She slid into the booth and smiled at him, appraising his appearance, which he had obviously taken trouble over, much more than was warranted for a divey place like Ed's.

"You look very handsome, Micky. Much nicer than this place deserves."

He blushed a bit and then said "Well, it's not the place that deserves it, it's you that does. You look very Executive Directorish." He let his eyes roam over her blouse, skirt and heels. She had had to meet with an important donor, so she had put on her "have to meet with the Establishment" outfit.

"Yeah, I had a meeting today with a big muckity muck. I don't usually get this dolled up, or rather, I don't usually look this square and tame. I do like to get dolled up, but my version of it. You know."

"Yeah, I know." He smiled and gave her a bit of a smoldering look, not too much, just enough to let her know he had forgotten nothing and knew exactly what he had almost thrown away and was desperate to regain.

Once they had ordered, he asked "How about picking out some songs on the jukebox?"

She laughed at the old hoary gambit from his first crack at trying to seduce her and asked "Do they still have a jukebox here?"