Chapter 17

The guys went back into the studio to record Headquarters

The guys went back into the studio to record Headquarters. It was an idyllic experience in contrast to their previous records in that they had total creative control and they were playing their own instruments. They did bring in another musician to play bass when Peter was planning to play keyboards, and they had a couple of spots where they had incidental instruments played by others, such as on a gorgeous song called Shades of Grey, which included cello and French horn, but in the main, it was a true Monkees production. Still, as Micky had described for Gabby, there were disturbing personality and ambition clashes happening between the guys, though mostly driven by Michael's difficult personality. Micky was hopeful that if they could get through this process and pick up both critical and popular acclaim, it might go a long way towards papering over the fissures that were forming between the members of the group and make it less likely that they would irreparably tear.

Micky's hopes soared when the label conveyed an invitation to them for a promotional tour to the United Kingdom by the same outfit that handled the Beatles, with an eye toward arranging a series of concerts at a later date. His good mood didn't last long, however, when Mike let him know that he and Wendy would be traveling over there on their own and had no interest in making it a family affair. Peter announced that he would not be making the trip, giving no explanation. Davy was planning on going, but he too was going to travel on his own. So Micky's joy was somewhat dulled by the fact that the family seemed to be fracturing. Or rather, he was fairly pragmatic about it, but his heart bled for Gabby, who wept bitterly when she heard the news.

Gabby was planning on taking the trip when calamity struck. Literally, a strike of union workers occurred, and her editor asked her to stay behind to cover the story. She couldn't refuse, not only because it was her professional responsibility, but because she felt a duty to support the union workers. She would be on the picket lines with them and would need to help them organize and negotiate the permits for their demonstration. She just couldn't get away. So Micky took the trip without Gabby and Michael and Wendy didn't bother to invite him to join them for whatever they were planning despite knowing he'd be on his own. He said he didn't care, but it did sting a little. Still, Micky decided to make the most of his time and he did.

Micky had the time of his life. He went shopping on Carnaby Street and was photographed buying up half the stores, posing in the latest fashions.