Chapter 24

They got outside and Gabby headed for her car.  Davy looked puzzled as he walked towards his.  "'ey, Gabby, where you going, I thought I was taking you to my place?"

Gabby leaned against her car, crossed her arms and legs and shook her head.

"Wow, Jonesy, you are really a reformed boy, aren't you?  I guess it's been a while since you had to sneak around.  I can't take off with you in your car and then come skulking back here in the morning with you.  I left Dawn a note that said I felt like I needed to sleep in my own bed tonight because I have an early morning meeting.  If we're done before sunrise, I'll sneak back into the house and grab the note and she won't have seen it.  If not, I'll go stop off at my house and change for work and pretend I slept at my house.  Dig?"

Davy grinned.  "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" 

Gabby smirked.  "That's the second spider quote we've made about this.  Sounds ominous to me."

"I have been accused of having eight arms and hands by some birds," Davy joked.

"Okay, Mister.  Let's go.  I'll follow you to your place."

They reached Davy's apartment and he let them in with his key.  It was a beautiful apartment with a huge glass window wall, overlooking the ocean in Marina Del Ray.  Davy had bought a boat and loved to take his boat out when he wasn't busy caring for his horses.  He had a gorgeous view of the ocean and the marina, and a private slip for his boat.  He had always had an affinity for the water, and when he lived with the guys at the Pad, he most often could be found down on the beach, swimming in the waves, far out beyond the breakers.

Gabby entered the apartment and scanned it, noting its features.  It was surprisingly light and airy, with a pastel color scheme.  Hardly the stereotypical male dark color scheme for the usual bachelor pad.  He had white sofas and chairs, accented with colored throw pillows and blinds with pastel colors the shades of a sunset, in blue, yellow, coral and lavender.  His kitchen dinette set was a white tulip table and chairs designed by Eero Saarinen and he had other mid-century modern furniture in various shades of white, silver and blonde wood.

It was sleek and stylish, though not terribly homey, despite his claim that his parlor was cozy

It was sleek and stylish, though not terribly homey, despite his claim that his parlor was cozy.  The floor was covered with furry, white shag carpeting.  Gabby eyed it with a bit of intrigue and hunger, which did not escape Davy's notice, but he said nothing for now.  He just filed it away in his mind for later.

She noticed that he had a fireplace and asked him to light a fire.  It was chilly in his apartment and she sank down on his couch and shivered a bit.  Noticing she was trembling, he reached for an afghan strewn across the back of the couch, draped it around her and knelt down and turned up the gas in the fireplace.  He walked over to the bar he kept on a tray and asked what he could get her to drink.  She requested red wine and was presented with a Gabby-sized large glass.  He poured himself one as well, as opposed to his usual whiskey, hoping to put her at ease that he wasn't planning on getting hammered and taking advantage of her.