Chapter 18

Everyone was milling around Micky and Gabby's backyard. That was an accomplishment in and of itself. Gabby smiled with satisfaction as she saw all her closest friends lounging around and chatting, drinking and eating, relaxing and experiencing a rare moment of repose. Schmooshy was in seventh heaven, receiving so much love and attention from so many new smelly people. (To him, everyone was just a series of smells.) Davy was a particularly keen animal lover and he immediately started teaching the dog tricks and rough housing with him on the lawn. Jan was leaping and capering around with the dog and her man, tackling and tickling both of them, and the three of them rolled around on the ground.

Gabby took particular pleasure in seeing Davy enjoying himself. He had been through so much in the last year and a half, and had at last seemed to have found some harmony for himself. He and Jan still weren't living together, but Jan didn't seem fazed by it. She seemed to be built along the same pragmatic lines as Gabby, and was in no rush to commit to anything the relationship couldn't support. When Micky moved out of the Pad, Davy had been understanding and had gotten himself a bachelor pad near Jan's apartment with basically no fuss or discussion amongst any of them. It just was the natural course of things and he accepted it with good grace, at least on the surface.

Gabby strolled over to the grill, where Mike was standing wearing an apron, flipping burgers, hot dogs and sausages. She gave his arm a squeeze and said "Jeez it's good to see you in your regular spot, Mike, cooking up a storm. Thanks for being a good sport and making this a down home party. I thought folks might enjoy that after all the strange restaurant and room-service food you guys have had to eat on the road, plus this reminds me of our best days at the Pad."

Mike smiled and lifted his wineglass to her "Amen to that, Gabby! This was a great idea. I'm real glad to be here. Thanks for havin' us."

Just at this moment, Wendy, or Lady Nesmith as Gabby and the other girls had begun calling her behind her back, came gliding over to them and put her arm around Mike proprietorially. "Gabby, what's with the kid's party setup? I know Micky's not as ambitious as Mike and doesn't make as much from the records, but jeez, I would think you guys could afford a caterer!"

Gabby stiffened and took a step back as if Wendy had physically slapped her in the face. She took a deep breath and then calmly responded "I'm sorry the food doesn't meet up to your standards and expectations, Wendy. I was going for a certain feel, bringing back memories of when we were all still humble and partying at the Pad. I think in a certain way those were our best days, and I don't ever want us to move away from the values and bonds we shared back then. That's what all the other girls wanted, too. I'll look forward to when you finally invite us all over to your place."

Micky had been standing within earshot, listening to Gabby handle the sticky situation with grace and no hostility. Now he walked up to the group and asked "Can I get either one of you anything? A drink, something to eat, a diamond tiara?"

Wendy's face went red with embarrassment and she flounced away with no response. Mike was blushing and felt the need to apologize on her behalf. "I'm sorry about that, you two. I think this is a great party. Wendy's just not been herself lately. You know how she gets when she's out of sorts. She kind of bites the hand that feeds her and lashes out. I hope y'all won't take it personally. It's more like maybe she thinks I'm not doin' enough to show how much dough we're makin'. But that's between me and her. Sorry you got caught in the crossfire."

Gabby shook her head and said "I don't buy it, Mike. Don't take all that on yourself. Wendy's got a bug up her ass and always has had one when it comes to how Micky and I live our lives. Nothing we do has ever set right with her and it never will. I'm resigned to it. But I was really sincere when I said we'd like you to have us all over. I feel like you guys have drifted away from the group, and I'm sad about that. Please don't do that. We all need you guys. We're still a family. That's what this party is about."