Chapter 14

Morning arrived and surprisingly, even though it was three hours earlier for Gabby, whose body was still on west coast time, she was up early and anxious to get out and explore. She pried Micky out of bed and refused to let him order room service breakfast.

"Nope, Micky, I am not going to wait a minute longer to see what's out that front door! So get the lead out, Mister. Besides, I'm sure there must be some way for us to grab breakfast and a cup of coffee without all of the city's teenagers figuring out who you are. Just wear a pair of shades."

Micky shrugged his shoulders and said "Okay, Gabby. We'll do it your way." He knew she'd have to learn things the hard way, like he did.

They took the elevator down to the lobby and snuck out the side entrance. Gabby yanked Micky towards the park she had spotted, the Boston Public Garden, and as they got across the street, she gasped at its beauty and picturesque charm. She had not done any traveling in her life, other than inside of the state of California, so she was very excited to be seeing new sights and scenes.

The park was surrounded by tall iron fencing and was a green oasis of nature plonked down in the middle of a bustling city environment, a smaller version of New York City's Central Park. In the middle, there was a lagoon traversed by a small extension bridge, around which you could ride on pedal boats shaped like swans driven by young people with lots of energy, calves of steel and funny accents. She made a mental note not to leave town before taking a ride on a swan boat.

But what she really wanted to do was to check out the trees, flowers and critters who made the park their home

But what she really wanted to do was to check out the trees, flowers and critters who made the park their home. The cherry trees were bursting with pink blooms and had trunks of dark reddish brown, smooth bark punctuated with striations . She approached one with particularly fine, wide swaths of smooth bark and ran her hand over its velvety surface, bent down towards it and kissed it affectionately. Micky gave her a nonplussed, bemused look, not understanding the why or wherefore of her action. She answered his unspoken question.

"It's the most handsome tree I've ever met and I wanted to pay it proper tribute

"It's the most handsome tree I've ever met and I wanted to pay it proper tribute. Don't be jealous or anything. It was a platonic kiss. Kind of how I feel about the rest of your bandmates. They're all handsome and talented and I love them all, but I only have eyes for you. But that tree just deserved to be shown just how special it is, you know?"