Chapter 23: That counts as progress, right?

Everything was happening so fast.

I screamed out in protest when my brother's fist made contact with Nixon's face. Tears blurred my vision as I felt myself go into panic mode. I don't remember seeing my dad walking by me but he was suddenly out front, peeling my brother off of my boyfriend and there were multiple voices shouting loudly which made me flinch. At the same time, Jake's arms found their way around me trying to shield me away from what was going on.

"Come on Mar, you don't wanna see this."

I hastily tried to push him away and step around him. I knew I was an emotional mess but I didn't care one bit, the only thing on my mind was Nixon.

Through my blurred vision I finally saw him hastily stand up with blood at the side of his mouth. His whole demeanor was seething with anger. My gaze tore away from his direction as soon as my dad let Aiden go, who was also dripping with anger and was muttering profanities under his breath as he made his way back into the house, my dad following behind him. He had a massive frown on his face and sighed deeply as if he couldn't believe what just happened.

Neither one of them glanced my way.

Totally ignoring that my big brother was stood next to me I immediately ran towards Nixon. He was stood like a statue where I could see that he was fighting his anger, his eyes two shades darker than normal. A few months ago I would have been frightened to be anywhere near him but in this moment, fear was the last thing on my mind. My arms automatically flung around his body as I cried silently against his shirt. This seemed to snap him out of his stance as his fists unclenched and his arms were around me.

"Oh my god Nixon are you okay? I'm so sorry," My voice was muffled against his chest and I ended up sobbing. He pushed me backwards gently to get a hold of my face and wipe my tears away. His eyes had softened but his expression was pained. I'm not sure whether it was because of me or because of my brother.

"Shh it's okay baby, I'm okay. We expected this right? He barely even got me." He had a hint of a smirk at that last part. If I wasn't so upset right now I would have rolled my eyes and punched him in the arm. He wasn't wrong though, there was only a small trickle of blood on the side of his mouth. We all got lucky that my dad had stepped in before any more punches. So instead I settled with a, "Shut up stupid,"

I hugged him again tightly, pressing my face into his chest and Nixon laughed which felt so good to hear. It was then that I knew he was okay.

Somebody clearing their throat behind us made me jump up in surprise and I stepped away from Nixon like my fingers had touched a hot plate. Of course, my boyfriend didn't seem fazed.

My cheeks heated up in embarrassment as we were face to face with Jake. I had totally forgotten that he was still at the doorway and must have witnessed the whole thing. Feeling dread of how he'd react, considering Aiden's actions, was an understatement. I held my breath as he stepped outside the door to where we were.

He seemed to be studying us for a few moments with a curious gaze. I had no idea what was going on in his head but it mustn't have been a bad thing as Jake held out his hand towards Nixon with a smile on his face. They shook hands and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Hey it's Nixon right? I'm Jake. It's nice to meet you kid. Excuse our hothead of a brother. I'm sorry it wasn't with the welcome you deserved. You and Aiden must clearly know each other," He said raising his eyebrows questioningly.