IJLA 18 - The Flowers

Pagkarating ng bahay ay agad na nagkulong si Ahn sa dati niyang kwarto. No one bothered her even for dinner. Nang magmadaling-araw ay nakaramdam siya ng matinding gutom. She went down the kitchen to fix herself a meal, careful not to wake anyone up.

She was a bit surprised to see food on the table with a note.

Anak, kung nagugutom ka, kumain ka lang. There's a pint of ice cream in the fridge if you want it. –Mom

Agad siyang kumain at saka kinuha ang ice cream sa ref. Maybe it was the depression but before she knew it, she's already eating the last spoonful.

Since she can't sleep with a full belly, nanuod muna siya ng TV. What happened yesterday feels like forever ago. She can't feel the ache anymore. The sting of his words stopped. All there is now is a big hole in her chest.

Nang mahindagan ay bumalik siya sa kwarto para muling matulog. She was quite surprised to see her phone light up.

From: Ken

Where are you?

--

That was foul, Ken, he told himself. Kanina pa niya iniuuntog ang ulo sa steering wheel ng kotse niya. That was just low. Did he really call her a bitch? He never thought he'd have the guts to. He told her awful things and she took them badly. So much so that when he returned home, she was not there anymore.

Ano pa nga ba naman ang aasahan niya?

Ilang oras din siyang nag-ubos ng gasolina sa daan. Hindi niya alam kung saan na siya nakarating. When he calmed down, he immediately drove back to the house to apologize. Yes, he was blinded by anger. Nagdilim ang paningin niya kanina nang makita ang mga bulaklak na hawak ni Ahn.

From: Ahn

I'm at my parents' house.

To: Ahn

Can I come over?

From: Ahn

No. My dad will kill you.

Sinapok niya ang sarili using the remote. Great. Now his ninong's involved. Siguro ay sinabi ni manang dito ang nangyari.

To: Ahn

I'll take my chances.

--

He didn't even apologize. She was waiting for him to apologize. Why won't he apologize?

To: Ken

Okay.

Agad siyang nagsuot ng jacket at saka umalis ng bahay. She didn't know where to go kaya pumunta na lang sya sa isang fast food chain na 24 hours bukas.

She ordered two large coffees and large fries. It's morning already.

Maya-maya ay nakatanggap ulit siya ng mensahe galing kay Ken.

From: Ken

Nandito na 'ko.

To: Ken

Sorry. I left.

Her phone started ringing. Sinagot niya iyon.

"Where are you, Ahn?" mahinahon nitong tanong.

"Somewhere you can't find me."

"Nasa Mcdo ka ba?"

Napasapo siya nang pumailanlang ang jingle ng Mcdo.