IJLA 13 - Turn Around

The next morning was really awkward. She had to get up early to get her requirements ready for the job. Ken had to get up early for his work. Both of them had coffee at the same time. He just finished stirring his second cup when she went down to make her own. She guessed he made another on purpose.

They simply looked at each other, but no one said a word.

She could still remember the kiss from last night. She avoided looking at his lips, in fear that the want to kiss him again might come back.

Pinauna na niya itong maligo, since he has work. Pagkatapos nito, saka siya kumilos. Sinadya niyang tagalan para hindi sila magkasabay sa pag-alis. When she stepped out of the bathroom, nakaalis na ito.

She spent the whole afternoon finishing all her requirements. Inuna niya ang pagpapa-medical dahil iyon ang mabusisisi. She had to get the result in a few days. Then, the government IDs, NBI clearance, police clearance at kung anu-ano pa. Lucky for her, naasikaso na niya ang mga necessary IDs bago pa sya mag-OJT.

Umuwi siya ng bandang alas kwatro ng hapon. Ken's still at work so solo nya ang buong bahay. It felt eerie and empty without him but she prefer it that way than awkward.

Nanuod na lang sya ng TV dahil hindi nya iyon magagawa pagdating ni Ken. Nagluto na rin siya ng pagkain habang nanunuod para mamaya, hindi na niya kailangang sumabay ng hapunan dito. After cooking, she sat down on the couch to concentrate on the movie she's watching.

Napatigil siya sa pagsubo nang may bigla siyang ma-realize. Sukob. Sukob ang kasal nila ni Ken! Sa movie kasi, minulto yung magkapatid na kinasal sa loob ng isang taon. Sukob ang kasal nila, only months apart! Pinangilabutan siya sa nalaman. They didn't even bother heeding that superstition. Wala naman kasing naniniwala sa pamilya nila sa sukob.

Binilisan niya ang pagkain. The house suddenly seemed so scary. She can't help glancing at the dark corners. This is the reason why she's not fond of watching horror movies. Her imagination turns hyperactive.

Pagkakain ay nagdala siya ng toothbrush palabas ng bahay. Carrying only money, her phone and a toothbrush, she locked the doors and went to her parents' house.

--

Ken went home at around six in the evening. Patay ang mga ilaw. Nakailang doorbell na siya pero walang sumasagot. Fumbling through his keys, he thought of the worst. Did Ahn leave him? O baka naman may masama na namang nangyari rito habang wala sya? Or maybe she's not home yet. Nakikipag-date kaya ito kay Greg?

He calmed himself down and opened the door.

"Ahn?"

He switched on the lights. Sinilip niya ito sa kwarto nito. She's not there. He decided to ask first before making any conclusions. They're already walking on thin ice. Baka mas lumala pa kapag inuna niya ang galit.

To: Ahn

Where are you?

Nahiga siya sa couch at pumikit. Maya-maya ay tumunog ang phone niya.

From: Ahn

Nasa bahay namin.

He frowned.

To: Ahn

What are you doing there?

From: Ahn

Natatakot ako sa bahay mo.

He would have laughed at the absurdity of that statement, had it not been for that possessive noun at the end.