CHAPTER 21: TRAPPED

"You gotta come over here twice a week, and do whatever chores yo grandmama give you, all her kids and grandkids gotta do it. Even me. I'm yo Grandmama Donna's oldest son. I got a different daddy, but Milton gave me his last name, and looked out for me tho," my Uncle Kinte lets me know when we leave my Grandmama house with him driving me in my car.

"Okay," I say and nod, staring down at Bo's phone in my hand. I turn it on and get ready to start scrolling to see if Bo text it-

"Aisha," Delontae suddenly call my name -- his voice coming through the car speakers, and I look up with my eyes bucked. My Uncle Kinte done plugged his phone into my car so I can hear my Daddy. My stomach hurts.

"Aisha. Answer me," Delontae tells me.

"I'm here," I say.

"So you met Granny Mae and errbody," he say.

"Yeah," I say back.

"I'm sending you to watch yo aunties in the mornin', or whatever you wanna call em. You my eyes and ears, Aisha," Tae lets me know and Kinte nods, I glance at Kinte.

And we ride the rest of the way with Delontae growling out instructions like errbody need to be scared, telling Kinte don't let none of them mothafuckin' police talk to me, about shit, just like Miss Beverly didn't. I already gave my statement, make sure it stays the same, and keep me away from that shit and stay in touch with Jermaine Dupri. Tae in jail just ordering folks around, and fussin' at me and my Uncle Kinte, the whole way. And I can tell they all scared of Tae, and they just obey him. Can't interrupt Tae or do shit -- and I'm trippin' off this shit, all the while I'm just staring at Bo phone. Because I wanna go thru it so bad! Dayumm! Delontae make me sick!!

Bo calling! I stare down at the phone. It's gotta be him.

"Hello?" I go ahead and answer -- and my uncle snatch my phone from me, before I even get it out good, shaking his head at me like hell naw, don't do dat--

"Did you just answer yo fuckin' phone while I'm on this phone talkin' to you Aisha?" Delontae ask me. Oops.

"I ain't know," I say and toot my lip up-

"I'll holla atchu when I get out," he tells me and hangs up the phone. Kinte just shakes his head, dang, Delontae that mad? And get out how? He got charged wit fuckin' murder, he ain't gettin' out. My emotions just all fuckin' mixed up- I want Bo phone, I wanna go back to Miss Beverly house. I want Pop and Bo. I start crying.

"You was like -- almost 2 years old when a nigga shot at Delontae while he had you wit him," Kinte breaks the silence. I look up, shocked as hell.

"For real?" I say.

"Hell yeah. Tae was so scared over you, I had to watch you after that, even while he took a piss - until yo daddy finally caught up to that nigga. And he killed that nigga for that shit. Just like he killed that lil nigga who snatched you up. Tae been killin' niggas over you from day one. And watching over you. He gone watch over you for sho now," Kinte tells me.