Chapter 26

Whiplash limped down the hall, nose twitching. Come on, so close-

"Ah ah ah, no, Whiplash."

The dragon yelped in alarm as a pair of boots suddenly stopped him in his tracks. "Damn it."

"You know you gotta be resting" Fawn crouched in front of Whiplash, "you won't heal any faster if you move when you're not supposed to."

"I just want to see Ezra" Whiplash's horns pressed down as his eyes dilated, putting on his signature 'kicked puppy' face.

"Nope, bed, now."

He should've known better. Fawn was immune to that.

Whiplash sighed heavily. "I need to see he's really okay..."

Fawn's eyes softened and she placed a hand inbetween Whiplash's horns, rubbing the scales there with her thumb.

"I get it" she told him gently. "Believe me, I get it, but you gotta rest for your health and my heart. Whiplash, you almost died, don't give me a second heart attack by going missing, alright?"

The dragon hesitated before sighing heavily in resignation, understanding crossing his face. "Okay."

Foot falls made the two look down the hallway to the entrance.

"Oh, there you are! Jeez Whiplash, you've gotta stop doing this" Sabine appeared in the doorway, Colour Fly at her side. "What is this now? The twenty sixth attempt?"

The two of them approached Whiplash who sighed in defeat, knowing he was cornered. "I can't go anywhere can I?"

"Nope, you're stuck in that room until you're healed" Fawn stated, rising to stand beside Sabine.

"But I am healed! I'm walking around just fine!"

"Are, or are you not walking with a limp and a bruised spine?"

Whiplash opened his mouth to retort when claws covered his muzzle.

"Don't even try Whiplash" Colour Fly sighed, looking beyond exhausted. "Just listen to us, take our advice, and go to bed."

"But-!"

"It's only been three days Whiplash" Fawn reprimanded. "You can survive another few in bed."

"Another few days bedridden?!" Whiplash stared before flopping to the floor, groaning loudly. "Noooooooooooo..."

"You're such a drama queen" Colour Fly snorted.

"Colour Fly please, I ain't no drama queen, I'm the Drama King" Whiplash smirked up at her. "Don't downgrade my stature."

"Oh I'm sorry your majesty" Colour Fly rolled her eyes, voice dripping with sarcasm. "But as your royal advisor, I must implore you to go to your designated quarters."

"Royal Advisor?" Whiplash blinked. "Nah, don't sell yourself short, you're mah queen, baby!"

"Does he still have the sedative in his body or something? Cause he's loopy as hell" Sabine murmured to Fawn who chuckled.

"I heard that peasant!" Whiplash pointed an accusing claw at Sabine.

"Yup, without a doubt" Fawn grinned. "He's off the deep end."

It had been three, precarious days since Chopper had brought back a badly injured Ezra and Whiplash in the Phantom ll. After a short panic and getting both boys stable, the alliance decided to have a few days off. During those seventy two hours, Whiplash had gotten better. Thanks to dragon tears and his natural fast healing, his external injuries were amost completely gone. However, to have a decent, dreamless night's sleep, he had to be given sedatives to stop the plague of nightmares fueled by that freak show of a mission.
Bloodied bodies, vicious space cats, and almost losing Ezra was enough to have Whiplash waking up drenched in cold sweat, and screaming.