Chapter 12

Golden light flooded the sandy plains as the sun sank, the Krykna spiders crawling down their caves for the night. Gentle hoots of Convors echoed across the planet as they called to their young to come home.
Whiplash lay in his full size at the top of a structured flower, paws crossed over each other and head resting on the rough surface of the plant. His eyes were closed as he rested, relaxing after his evening laps. It had been an interesting day. No missions, just catching up with friends. Whiplash didn't participate much, but overheard Kanan saying something to Ezra about a Bendu whatever that was. It sounded like a Force ability the Jedi was trying to teach his apprentice.
Whiplash yawned for a few moments, before settling down again. This kind of peace he'd found, was one he appreaciated above all. Calm, yet full of life. It was a sign that things weren't all bad, a sign that the Empire hadn't destroyed everything.

"Hey."

Whiplash backflipped onto his feet and swung round, teeth bared and a snarl growing in his throat, tail raised defensively. Fawn sat at the edge of the flower, unphased by the dragon's harsh noises. She gave a two fingered salute and crossed a leg over the other.

"What up hot shot" she said.

Whiplash instantly backed down, straightening his posture and gave a nod of greeting.

"Fawn" he said.

"What brings you up here?"

"Could ask you the same thing" Fawn replied.

Whiplash turned and lay back down.

"You wouldn't understand" he said.

"Try me" Fawn shrugged.

Whiplash gazed down at the ground so many meters below, exhaling slowly and not replying.

"Whiplash" Fawn probed.

"Please, talk to me."

The dragon sighed so heavily, his shoulders could be seen to rise and fall. 

"It doesn't matter-"

"Just spill it."

Whiplash mentally swore at Fawn's stubbornness. He loathed and admired how she refused to give up. With a sigh, he complied.

"You've always had a stable bond with Hurricane, the connection you have with him is emotionally and mentally balanced, no matter how or what happens, you always stick together through thick and thin. The strongest forces couldn't tear you two apart, not even when you went rouge with the Dark Side."

Fawn stood and approached the dragon, standing next to him. Whiplash had his eyes closed, lips tight. He spat out a bitter laugh. 

"How? How do you do it? Hell, I get separated from Ezra for six kriffing months and he's a snarking lieutenant commander?! Our bond gets fractured because of one single separation, I might as well have left for one day and we'd be in this situation!"

Whiplash huffed a spiteful laugh, his eyes opening, glaring down on Fawn.

"I expect the entire reason you're actually here is to try to convince me to work things out with Ezra? Well, if you had't noticed, I'm not the same dragon anymore. I never will be the same dragon, I've grown beyond what I used to be. I am independent, I am strong, and I don't let my emotions hold me back. Emotions are the source of weakness, they only limit your vision."

Whiplash stood, head raised to the sky. Taking a long breath in, he exhaled and continued.  

"I used to look at the sky and there I saw a barrier between dreams and reality. I wanted to explore the galaxy beyond but I couldn't, I was scared. Fear was the worst. I felt helpless. But now," a slow smile lifted Whiplash's lips, although, Fawn couldn't help but notice how no sign happiness was in the expression.