Chapter 32

I am so so SO sorry about the lack of updates here ;-;
Hope you enjoy tho

The trip back to Atallon was quiet.

Fawn stared straight ahead, occasionly flipping switches but kept her gaze firmly forwards. Her eyes were glazed, reflecting the blue glow of hyperspace.

Ezra sat in the chair beside her, chin resting on his knees and arms wrapped around himself. His gaze occasionally flicking over to Whiplash who was resting on the chair behind him. Hurricane had disappeared a little while ago, saying something about hot drinks. Fawn had merely hummed in agreement.

Ezra wanted to know why Fawn was acting like this. When they'd gotten to her at the library, she had been searching through a series of thick volumes.

"I'm looking for the records of elder dragons" she had told them, "the history of dragons that had royal lineage."

Ezra had asked why, and Fawn stated she needed it for research. Ezra knew when she was lying. There was something else going on.

Whiplash suddenly sat up making the Bridger siblings look round.

"I'm uh...gonna go find Hurricane" Whiplash said, glancing at Ezra.

The dragon's voice floated through Ezra's mind. "Talk to her if you're curious."

Ezra gave him a small smile of gratitude. "Okay, see where he is with those drinks."

Whiplash nodded and leapt off the seat, walking through the door to the back of the ship. Ezra watched the door close then turned to Fawn.

She had refocused her gaze to the glass, lips pressed together.

"Fawn?"

Fawn's eyebrow flexed to show she was listening.

"Um...the records?"

"Yeah?"

"What are you researching?"

"It's just stuff for Kabera, Ezra" Fawn replied, her gaze never shifting from the window.

"Yeah, but what?"

Fawn's fingers tightened on the yoke. "Raxia...wanted me to look at some old texts...see if there was a cure...or something."

Ezra stared at her. "You really don't want to tell me do you?"

Fawn looked at him, mouth open to retort but the dejected look in her brother's eyes made her crumble. Her head thunked back on the seat, hands dropping from the steering to run through her hair.

"Ezra" she began slowly, "Raxia is... well she's struggling, the damage she suffered has affected her more than we realised."

Fawn dropped her hands into her lap, gripping them together tightly. "She told me that it might be time to search for a new heir to Kabera's throne. And...the texts were to try and find a new heir, to find an elder dragon's offspring that would fit the requirements."

Ezra stared at his sister, mouth slightly agape. Fawn sighed again, rubbing at her eyes.

"I'm gonna try to find someone, someone who will do well..."