Chapter 17

The Phantom landed on the turf of Corellia, dirt flying everywhere as the ship touched down. Ezra flicked off the controls and stood, moving down the shuttle to the door. Whiplash made a move to rear up but hesitated, thinking better of the action and jumped down from the seat to the floor. However, Ezra noticed how close Whiplash was walking next to him and smiled a little. Things were getting better, slowly yes, but they were.

"So Commander Sato said that their base is in the middle of the jungle" Whiplash spoke up when they got outside.

"So, there we go I suppose?" Ezra shrugged.

Whiplash nodded and grew into his larger form. He looked over at Ezra expectantly who seemed to be having trouble figuring out what he was implying.

"What are you waiting for? A formal invitation written in fancy writing on a peice of paper? Get on" Whiplash huffed.

"W-What? You're serious?" Ezra stared.

"Well duh, you're my rider aren't you?" Whiplash lifted an eyeridge.

Ezra grinned and Whiplash saw the sixteen year old boy he met what felt like years ago, flash before his eyes. Ezra moved forward and hauled himself on to Whiplash's back, settling himself between his large wings.

"You gonna have enough support back there?" Whiplash asked, "you'll have a smaller chance of falling off if you're holding onto my horns."

"Nah, I'll be fine for now Whiplash, don't worry" Ezra smiled reassuringly.

The dragon gave a nod and his gaze went forward again. Ezra grasped Whiplash's narrow spikes and locked his knees in. He knew he should've put himself in his normal place he normally did when flying Whiplash, but it didn't feel right. Not right now anyway. Until they were completely at ease with each other.

"Chop, stay with the ship and scan for any signs of the rebels okay?" Ezra called, "keep the com handy as well, we still don't know what happened to the rebels so anything could be out here."

Chopper warbled and his scanner popped up from on top his head, spinning as he got feedback from Corellia.

"You ready?" Whiplash asked.

"As I'll ever be" replied Ezra.

"Alright, hang on."

Whiplash shook himself, still getting used to having weight on his back again. It had been a while since he'd had his rider flying with him. His claws thudded on the ground as he took a few bounds forward, he kicked off with his back legs, his broard wings extending outwards and flapping. Instantly, Whiplash took off, soaring into the bright sky. He heard a yell and quickly snapped his gaze back to Ezra. But what he saw eased any terrifed thought. The teen was laughing, hands above his head as the cool air swept past. His eyes were watering due to the wind but he kept them open, his blue pupils shining with joy. Whiplash smiled fondly, he had forgotten how relishing it was to see Ezra grinning like an idiot and enjoying something as simple as a flight. A rumble echoed up his throat and he was startled to realize he was purring. How long had been since he'd purred properly? Probably back before Kabera's destruction. Anything after that was forced or fake.

'Wow' Whiplash thought, turning back to face ahead, 'I didn't even notice.'

It wasn't long before they spotted smoke in the distance, no doubt belonging to the rebels base.

"Hang on Ezra" Whiplash said over his shoulder, "I'm gonna speed up."

On instinct, the boy clutched the spikes and lowered himself down. Whiplash lifted his wings and flapped them in a way Ezra had never seen him do before. They drifted backwards before swerving forwards in a circle, boosting Whiplash across the jungle.