Chapter 69

READ HER STORY!!!!!! ^^^

69. Prom Party

BPOV

"So what's the surprise, Alice?" I demanded, hands on my hips. In response, she handed me an envelope from a huge box of envelopes. I tore it open and saw a group of small red tickets inside. I pulled out the note inside and read it:

Dear Student,

Pacific Northwest Trust is a proud sponsor of tonight's prom party. The tickets here are to be used to play the various casino games. Winnings from the games will be given in poker chips. The poker chips can then be cashed in for scholarship money. PNT will send you a scholarship check equal to the amount you win at the tables tonight, so make sure you visit the cashier before you leave. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Isaac Randall

I stared at the paper in disbelief for a few moments and then lifted my head to look at Alice. "You're giving scholarships to all the kids in Forks? Are you crazy?"

"Bella! There are only 300 students in the entire high school, and it's going to be mostly juniors and seniors here tonight. I don't expect more than 150 guests at the most. I just made another million dollars this morning on a smooth stock transaction and thought I'd put it to good use. It's not like I'll notice it's missing. I didn't even have it yesterday. Okay? So stop worrying," she griped.

I felt myself going into la-la land. She made a million dollars this morning? In a single day? With one transaction? No wonder they spent money like it was paper. She could give away a million dollars and not even notice it's gone. Just how rich are these guys? I had a feeling it must be beyond my wildest dreams. Beyond buying a private island as an anniversary present. Like buying an entire country kind of rich. Maybe even buying an entire continent kind of rich—and I didn't mean Antarctica.

"Um, Alice?"

"Yes, Bella?"

"If you wanted to buy, oh, say South America to go along with Isle Esme, could you do that?"

She grinned. "Well, it would be difficult getting all the different leaders to agree, but I think we could do it if we really wanted."

I felt a bit lightheaded. "Alice? You don't think it's a bit, um, greedy to be rich enough to buy an entire continent?"

She frowned at me. "Really, Bella. You only have yourself to blame for that."

"What? Me? How can you possibly be blaming me for your obscene wealth?"

"Silly Bella! I've been trying to get you to help me spend it for months now. I've been trying to stimulate the economy, redistribute the wealth, invest in local businesses, etc., yet you object and overrule me at every turn. You're the one insisting we hoard it, instead of letting us buy you stuff. I'm trying to share it. Do you think being the family shopaholic is an easy job? Yet I daily volunteer my services for the good of the family."

"Oh, please, Alice. Like you don't live to shop. Like you wouldn't curl up into the fetal position and go through withdrawal if Carlisle were to take your credit cards away."

Alice clapped her hands over her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. She started shuddering. "Don't even think such horrible thoughts. Do you want to give me nightmares?"

"You don't sleep."

"Daymares?"

"Poor Alice, we all know shopping is number one on your list," Emmett taunted.