Chapter 58

^ I decided to put urs... I just had to change the name.. :D Thank you!

58. Plotting and Planning

BPOV

Things had calmed down considerably over the past few weeks. I was closer than ever with the Cullens and truly felt like one of the family. Additionally, our relationship with the wolves was firmly cemented. Once the tribal council had gotten a look at Emily's new look and heard the testimony of the wolves about the times they had personally witnessed the Cullens resist flowing human blood, there was no further objection. All of the Quileutes were actively encouraged to take medical issues to the Forks hospital. Carlisle was given free range to enter La Push in official medical capacity and was recruited as the formal physician for the wolf packs.

A new treaty was drawn up, which allowed for 'living will' vampirization of individuals in case of imminent death. This meant that individuals could give written consent to allow the change as a 'life saving' measure in case of emergency. One copy of the consent form would be kept by the tribe and one by the Cullens. The form had to be signed by the individual and witnessed by Carlisle or Esme and by Jacob or Sam. No vampires were allowed to hunt within the boundaries of the reservation. This was simply a measure of caution to protect stray humans from being accidentally targeted by vampires when they were acting on pure instinct. The treaty also allowed the Cullens to enter the reservation, at any time while not hunting, with prior authorization from any member of the wolf packs or the tribal council. Any human drinking vampire who bit a human or drank from a human within a hundred mile radius of La Push was automatically marked for death by the tribal Protectors. If a human drinking vampire was found within a hundred mile radius before he or she fed, he or she could be given warning not to hunt in this region and escorted out of the area. Any animal drinker found unknowingly hunting on Quileute land would be given warning and escorted to the border. The wolves would not attack any animal drinkers, but were allowed to defend themselves if endangered. Any newborn vampires found during times of peace would be dismembered and turned over to the Cullens to determine whether or not they could be taught to drink from animals instead of humans. Any newborn vampires found during times of war would be immediately destroyed for the safety of the humans in the area.

Charlie was still getting along great with Edward and had actually started bonding with all the Cullens. He and Emmett like watching games together when they were each rooting for opposite teams. Though Charlie pretended to dislike Emmett, he really enjoyed their good natured jibes and competition. They would make small bets on the scores and winners and yell at the screen in excitement or disgust as the game progressed. Alice used to try and nudge Charlie in the right direction without him being aware of it, but Emmett quickly caught on to what she was doing and forbid her from interfering. Charlie and Jasper would sometimes discuss weapons technology and police tactics. Upon finding Jasper's excellent battle planning skills, as well as his ability to put himself in the mindset of the criminal, Charlie had even begun consulting him about difficult cases. Each time, Jasper's ideas had led the criminals conveniently into a trap, causing the steel jaws of the law to clamp down on them.

Charlie absolutely adored Alice and Esme. He was putty in their hands, a sucker for their smiles. Rose kept her distance, not terribly comfortable with him, especially in his role as an authority figure. Charlie had the utmost respect for Carlisle and frequently would engage him in discussions of moral vs. legal ethics.

Tonight was the night of the Sadie Hawkins dance, the girls' choice dance. Just thinking about that made me laugh, remembering the way the boys of the school had seemed to completely miss the point. I had several of them come up and ask me if I was going to ask them to the dance. I couldn't believe their nerve. I had been with Edward since my first day at this school, and it was well known he was my fiancé. The only humans I willingly entered into conversation with were Angela and Ben. The rest of them I ignored just as easily as the Cullens did. I couldn't understand where those human boys got the idea I would ever be interested in going to the dance with them. What were they thinking? I would rather get a root canal.