Chapter 23

23. First Meeting

BPOV

My stomach was full of butterflies as I drove onto the reservation, headed for Jacob's house. I was hoping and praying the day would go well. Our main concern was whether or not close contact with the Cullens would actually trigger the werewolf gene earlier. The last thing we needed was for the three boys to suddenly turn into giant wolves on the Cullens' front lawn. Not a good plan. Still, better their yard than at the mall or in the movie theater, which is why they were waiting anxiously for me to return with the three boys.

As I approached Jacob's house, Jacob stepped outside, along with Quil and Embry. I knew Jacob had recognized the sound of my truck, since the Blacks had owned it first, and it could be heard a mile away even by human ears. I pulled up and they started piling in, Jacob in the passenger seat and the other two in the back. Billy rolled out as they were getting settled.

"Hey, Bella!" he greeted warmly. Obviously, he was still unaware of my plans. "Where are all of you headed?"

"We're meeting up with some of my school friends and going to Port Angeles. We're going to have lunch, catch a movie, and maybe just hang out afterwards to get to know one another better," I enthused, hoping I could feign innocence once the truth of who my friends were became known.

"Sounds like fun! You kids enjoy yourselves. Just be back by nine at the latest. I know it's not a school night, but since it's your first time out, I want to be sure you get home safely. Besides, once you're home, Quil and Embry and Bella all have to return to their homes. That way, they'll be home by ten."

Jacob groaned, embarrassed. "Dad! I'm not a little kid."

Billy smiled. "I know, son. If you were, I wouldn't let you go at all. Now mind your manners with the pale faces," he teased, looking at me. It was a long standing joke between our families, especially since I was so very pale. Quil and Embry gasped, shocked to hear him say something like that in front of me. I just laughed.

"Relax, Quil, Embry. Billy's just jealous because he's never gotten a sunburn before. Not everybody can turn red and blister painfully after merely an hour of direct sunlight. It's a natural talent," I playfully boasted. All four of them burst out laughing.

"Remember the summer you were seven?" Jacob reminisced. "Your poor feet! You couldn't even wear shoes for a week. Sometimes I wondered if that was why your Mom sent you here in the summers. We get a lot less sunshine. I can only imagine the kinds of burns you got in Phoenix."

"Actually, I just slathered on the spf 100 I custom ordered. After two or three coats of that stuff, I wouldn't have a problem. Of course, it would take me an hour a day to put that much on, but it was worth it," I joked. They all looked at me closely to see whether or not I was serious. I couldn't help but giggle at their expressions. They laughed and shook their heads.

"Okay, Billy, I'll bring him home safely, but we need to head out now if we're going to make it in time for the movie," I mentioned, waving goodbye. Billy smiled and nodded. I hurriedly turned around and drove away, the boys waving goodbye until Billy was no longer in sight. I turned to Jacob.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked Jacob in concern, wanting to be sure he wasn't already regretting his choice.

"Are you kidding? I'm pumped! How often do you get to hang out with your tribe's mortal enemies whom your father claims are vampires?" he exclaimed. Then he clapped his hand over his mouth in horror, realizing what he had just said. I just laughed, pretending I thought he was joking. He smiled sheepishly. "You won't say anything about that to them, will you?"