Chapter 25

25. Motorbikes

JasperPOV

It had been so amusing to see Jacob's panic when Quil played a trick on him, but I was aware of the level of suspicion he had toward us, and Edward could read it in my mind as I assessed them. All three of them had a baseline suspicion and confusion directed toward the three of us, always underneath whichever emotions were otherwise prevalent. They were overwhelmingly excited at the moment, now that we were at the motor bike track, trying on helmets and strapping on protective gear. In fact, if I hadn't been controlling my gift for over a century and a half, I would likely be bouncing off the walls the way Alice usually does. I simply channeled their excitement into Edward and Bella so it wouldn't overwhelm me. Alice had enough excitement on her own. I doubted I would ever need to send excitement her way.

I knew the Quileutes were battling between their intellect and their instincts. Their intellect claimed vampires and werewolves were mythical creatures. Their instincts warned that we were inhuman and dangerous predators. Their experience with us thus far told them we were friendly, compassionate, and loving, able to appreciate humor. Yet the legends they had been taught from the cradle said we were heartless monsters, unable to coexist peacefully with humans, our natural prey. Their minds cried out that the legends couldn't possibly be true, but if they were, then we were their natural enemy. The reality of us was the source of major confusion for their subconscious minds. The subconscious was busy gathering evidence and pointing out clues that matched us with the Cold Ones in the legends. At the same time, the subconscious was gathering evidence and clues showing thedifferences between us and the Cold Ones in the legends. The subconscious struggled to fit the pieces together, to make sense of the puzzle we represented.

Thankfully, boys will be boys, and they were easily distracted from their internal struggles with the roar of the dirt bike engines and the sight of the dirt track, complete with dips and jumps. I knew their subconscious minds continued to work though, even while they played and joked and laughed. We were careful to give them space, not standing too close to them, so they wouldn't feel intimidated. I constantly monitored the slight edge of fear they all felt. For now, the level was low enough that it merely added to their pleasure, the way a roller coaster or haunted hay ride provides an adrenaline rush. They all had an edge of rebellion too, knowing they were associating with the forbidden Cullens, which would earn the wrath and disapproval of their parents. The knowledge of their rebellion was also fueling their excitement.

I saw Edward strapping safety gear onto Bella. He was using every option they had. He had made her wear chaps over her jeans and a bulky but sturdy jacket over her sweater. She had on gloves, knee pads, and elbow pads, as well as shin guards and wrist braces. I wondered if the poor girl could even walk in all that gear. She reminded me of the little kids in their snowsuits who were unable to move their arms and legs in all their snow gear. I sampled their emotions. Edward was incredibly concerned, worried, and protective. Bella was mildly irritated, but mostly resigned, as she patiently allowed him to plaster her with protective gear.

"Edward," I mentioned, walking over to them. "I think Bella should ride behind me for the first loop." He glared at me, and I felt his jealousy and resentment wash over me.

"Relax, dude, I'm not going to steal your girl," I assured him. "I have experience riding with a passenger, so I can help her get the hang of it, while knowing how to control the bike if she leans the wrong way. You have never ridden a motor bike at all, though I know you'll pick up the skills rapidly. I know I would feel more comfortable if you tested out the limits and responses of the machine by yourself first, before taking on Bella as a passenger."

He nodded reluctantly at my logic, sighing as he realized he couldn't kiss Bella through her helmet. I chuckled as I felt her disappointment when she realized the same thing. He settled for embracing her, whispering, "Be safe." She nodded and winked at him, before coming eagerly to join me. I felt her excitement build now that she was finally going to see some action.