Chapter 61

61. Heading Home

BPOV

Laurent was carefully surrounded as we made our way back to the house, with Edward monitoring his thoughts for any hint of betrayal or escape. Laurent was using the time to ask questions of Carlisle about his choice of lifestyle.

Now that the stress was over, and we were victorious, I relaxed against Edward's back as he ran with me. I looked over to the wolves that were pacing us and started giggling. My laughter caught the attention of the group, and they all looked at me, wanting in on the joke. I blushed to see all their eyes on me and clapped a hand over my mouth.

"Too late now, Bella!" Jasper teased. "What are you thinking to cause such waves of mischievous amusement?" With that, he sent out waves of my emotions to all the others. In combination with their own feelings of euphoria and relief, the entire group, including Laurent, was soon snickering, giggling, and chuckling. Emmett, true to form, was giving a characteristic evil scientist laugh and rubbing his hands together, while wearing the look he usually gets when plotting a particularly devious prank.

I shook my head, refusing to admit my thoughts, though my own amusement was now doubled thanks to Jasper. In fact, I was laughing so hard I nearly fell backwards off of Edward. This was enough to immediately sober Edward as he quickly moved his body to adjust my center of gravity.

"Darn it, Bella!" he growled in irritation. "Do I need to make a backpack for you like parents carry their babies in, or can you please hold on to me? I wouldn't have dropped you, but it would hurt you if you suddenly found yourself upside down with the back of your head slamming into the back of my legs!"

I could see it in my mind's eye and shuddered, sobering up as well. I hated being the target of Edward's displeasure. I didn't intend to tell him how scared I had gotten, or how my heart had sunk all the way down to my toes while my stomach had been doing a full Olympic gymnastics routine as I felt myself falling. Had to love those awesome vampire reflexes that allowed him to adjust his own body to accommodate the sudden imbalance of my own.

Jacob phased quickly to add a snide comment. "Hey, we'd be happy to make a giant cradleboard for your little papoose!"

Okay, that's it. He's going down.

"Fine, I'll tell you what I was thinking. I think you wolves should perform Swan Lake for us in your cute little tutus," I taunted.

The sounds of snarls and growling filled the air, drowning out the chuckles.

"Good one, Bells!" Emmett cheered. "I can see it now. Horse sized wolves dancing around on their hind legs in frilly pink tutus! Awesome!"

Alice got a funny look on her face, one Jacob had already learned to recognize.

"Oh, no you don't, Alice Cullen! You can just forget it right now. There is no way in hell you will ever get me into something pink and frilly!"

Alice got an evil grin on her face, one that should have struck terror into Jacob's heart. I know it would mine if it were directed at me. She began searching the future.

"Oooohh! A challenge!" Rose smirked. "Don't you know the family motto? Don't bet against Alice. I wouldn't have challenged her like that if I were you. Now I can't wait to see you in something pink and frilly."

At Rose's remark, Jacob realized what he had done. The look of sheer horror and fear on his face was hilarious. He knew, sooner or later, he was going to meet his doom. Alice would continue searching the future until she knew what series of events she could put into place to prove that she could get him into something pink and frilly, and she would never forget. It could be ten, fifty, a hundred years, some day she would prove him wrong. Edward started laughing at whatever Jacob was thinking.