Chapter 33

33. Hospital Beds

BPOV

Ugh. My head is hurting. Why is my head hurting so badly? Okay, what is the last thing I remember? I was in the car, on the way to school. There was ice and snow. We were running late, and Edward was speeding worse than usual. I couldn't take my eyes off the speedometer as I watched it steadily climb, chanting repeatedly in my head "vampires don't have accidents."

Let's see. Hmmm. Edward's phone buzzed. It was Alice. She shouted something about Tyler and his van. Edward assured her we had taken care of it. There's something odd about that. But what? Oh, well, I'll come back to it. Then Edward had looked my way and his face flashed with horror. Next, there was a horrendous sound. Yep, that's pretty much all I remember. No wait, there's more. A dream. A dream of Edward staring down at me with black, hungry eyes showing no recognition, only confusion. His lips had been redder than usual. I had felt him kissing my forehead, but my brain was dizzy from the feeling of a head rush. As he had continued to stare into my eyes, his confusion grew and the blackness of his pupils began to recede. But there was something wrong with the picture. The blackness wasn't replaced by his topaz irises. No, his eyes were red! Red!

I crinkled my forehead and felt tape wrinkling on my skin, right where his mouth had been. Who am I kidding? He wouldn't be kissing my injury to make it all better! I must have been bleeding, and he must have been drinking from me. That would explain the feeling of the blood rushing to my head. He had been sucking it out. How do I feel now? My vampire boyfriend had been sucking my blood. Actually, it didn't sound so bad considering I had lived to tell about it. After all, I knew he was a vampire before I started dating him. I knew I was his singer, and he would have a harder time resisting my blood than any other human's blood, yet I still chose to ride in the confined space of a car alone with him.

Oh, no. He'd been drinking my blood. I knew what that meant. He'd be blaming himself, calling himself a monster, and making plans to leave me for my own safety. What a load of malarkey. If he left me, I would personally chase him down and have Emmett rip his legs off and hide them. I'd like to see him run away without his legs. Hah! Don't even try me, Angst Boy! I read what happened in New Moon, and there was no way in hell I was going to let him do that to me for real. Forget it.

Something was tugging at the back of my mind though. Something about Alice's phone call… Wouldn't she have seen my decision to call Tyler? Why would she call about that so long after my actual call? Why had she sounded so panicked, when it had already been handled? Wait a minute. Had we ever given Alice the details about the accident as described in Twilight? I couldn't remember doing so, and Edward didn't seem to like to divulge anything from the books to his family.

Alice must have had a vision. The accident must have happened anyway! But how? The look of horror! The horrible sound! My head injury! Somehow, Tyler must have crashed his van into us, probably into my side of the car. I hope he was okay. Oh, no! The Volvo! Edward must be crushed! He has it backwards as usual. He's the one who isn't safe with me. I must literally be a danger magnet. How else could we deliberately avoid an accident, only to be met with a worse one involving all the original players?

"Bella?" an anguished voice murmured at my side. I felt a hard, cold hand squeeze mine. It felt like lifting elephants, but I eventually managed to pry my eyelids open. I saw Edward's grief-stricken face staring down into mine. I refused to be like those goofy people on TV who always came out of a faint wondering what happened. I had already deduced what had happened. Sure enough, the eyes staring intensely down into my own were a cross between orange and yellow. I knew he had consumed my blood, but I wasn't burning, so he hadn't shared his venom with me.