Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

          There, right in front of us, was the dragon we had to destroy to get the map. A long snake-like body raised up out of the water, connecting to its head, which was a huge circle the size of a two story house. Where its ears should’ve been were two massive wings that spread out into the atmosphere. Two black eyes, with a red ‘X’ in each of them were just above the opening of its mouth where there were teeth that made a chainsaw look like a butter knife. Every square millimeter of its entire body, head, and wings, was covered in white antennas that hung like hair.

          Christina throws her Rubik’s Cube back in her pocket, and rushes to our dragon – tiny in comparison to the other – and climbs on.

          Ghost yells, “The bigger they are the harder they fall! This one should be easy! You idiots better not mess it up!” Hopefully he was right, and this dragon would be easy to defeat, but just by looking at it, I thought he was wrong. We’d have to be careful.

          “Do you think our griffin is able to fly yet?” I hear Connor shout. Fear is the best way to described how he looked.

          “Only one way to find out!” Their griffin flies up into the sky, and towards the white dragon.

          “Hash tag team Envy and Christina,” Christina looks at me and says. “It’ll be okay, we’ll defeat this dragon like it was nothing.” Man, I really hope she was right. She presses some buttons on her Gameboy and we follow Connor over to the beast, wind blasting through my hair.

          “Attack!” Ghost yells, pointing.

          Just as his griffin shoots an invisible force, I select the sonic boom attack on my Gameboy and also shoot one. We can’t see it, but we know the dragon was hit, because it immediately comes higher out of the water, and then arcs back into it. The rest of the serpent’s body follows – coming out of the water, and then arching back in – until the last thing going under the water was the tip of its tail, which was a giant metal cone.

          “We defeated it!” Christina shouts happily, and I look to her, shaking my head. No, we didn’t defeat it.

          Everything gets quiet – except for the sound of the waves and wind. It hadn’t resurfaced yet, it was waiting, but for what?

          Connor’s griffin flies down and hovers over the water’s surface. “What are you doing?” he yells, “We’re too close to its home!”

          “I just want to see if I can figure out how to defeat it! There’s got to be a way! Every monster has a weakness!” Suddenly, the white dragon shoots up like lightning, nicking their griffin, which falls to the water.

          “Connor!” I yell.

Waves crash over them, covering them head to toe in the ocean’s liquid. I’m able to easily tell that their griffin doesn’t like water, because it looks like it’s having a seizure; it can’t swim so it’s uselessly flapping its wings trying to get out. They weren’t going to make it. The white dragon looked down at them. It was about to attack.

I had to think of something, and fast, but before I can, Christina points our dragon at the monster, and yells “Use the ‘Freeze my Pants off’ attack!”

Quickly, I select the attack. Both mouths of our dragon open up. A stream of water from each douses the monster’s left wing, and then turns it to ice. Its entire body goes completely still for a second, but only a second. Then, the ice around its wing shatters, and the beast dives back into the waters, its body following the arch. At the very end is the tip of its tail with the only piece of metal on its whole body.