Chapter 5

Chapter Five

Sweat was pouring down my face, the heart in my chest pounding, and my entire body shaking to the core. This is how I wake up every Thursday, I think, as I roll over onto my left side facing my room.  On top of my night stand, the clock reads twelve thirty two in the afternoon. Last night's nightmare was the worst. A demon elf, really? I didn't even know they had such a thing.

Enough thinking about that, I have to brush my teeth. I slip out of bed and throw on a pair of black basketball shorts, but remain shirtless. As I enter the bathroom, I notice something in the mirror. I'm wearing a necklace that I've never seen before. It looks like a little dream catcher.

Downstairs I find my mom watching TV in the living room. "Hey mom, did you come in to my room last night?"

She pauses her show, Breaking Bad, and says, "No, I didn't. Why?"

"Well did anyone else come in my room?"

She laughs. "Envy you're crazy. Since only us two live in this house and the doors were locked, no one was in your room last night." She's reclined back on the couch with a quilt covering her waist and down. "Are you alright?"

"Yea, I'm fine," I lie and go back to my room. I hear the TV downstairs unpause. What should I do, what should I do, what should I do? I definitely don't want to tell my mom, I don't even tell her about my dreams, because I don't like her knowing much about my life.

Connor. He'll know what to do. Sitting on my bed, I dial his number. The phone rings four times before he answers. "Hello? Who is this?"

"It's batman," I answer in an unfriendly, annoyed tone. It's not possible for him to not know who it is. He has caller ID and has had my number saved and memorized for a whole year now.

"Whoa, man. Who pissed in your cornflakes?" He laughs into the phone.

"Gee, I'm sorry. It's just... Something happened last night." I tell him about my nightmare, and I also tell him about the necklace.

"That's definitely creepy but if it was me, I would take it off, throw it away, and forget about it." I consider this, as I reach around my neck to take the necklace off. Why didn't I think of that before?

"Uh-oh," I say into the phone.

"What is it?"

"One second, let me get some scissors." I reach into the second drawer of my nightstand and take a pair of scissors.

"No! Noo! Noooo!" I scream into the phone so loud I'm surprised my mom doesn't hear me. "Connor I'm walking over to your house. Now. This is an emergency." I click my phone off and walk to his house three blocks away.

***

          Connor and I discovered that it was impossible to get the dream catcher necklace off. It was on a chain too short to just slip over my head. We thought maybe we could cut it, but that didn't work either. None of the tools in his dad's shed were able to cut through the material. In the end, we concluded it was best to not mention the necklace to anyone. If they ask about it, I'll tell them I bought it at the mall.

          It's Friday now and I was beyond freaked out about it at first, and don't get me wrong, I still am, but after thinking about it for a day, I'm more okay with it. It's just a necklace, it isn't hurting me. Best of all, it looks cool.  The netting inside the dream catcher even has a little 'E'. I'll pretend it stands for Envy.

***

          It's six in the afternoon today, and my mom just asked me if I could run over to Walmart. She literally wants me to run over there, since I can't drive yet. She gave me a list of all the stuff she needed and her debit card. I already know her PIN, 0000, the most unprotected password of all time.