Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

“Christina, how you doing? I thought you’d be dead by now,” the guy sitting next to Connor says. He was over six feet tall, all muscle, and looked like he had been working out since before he was even born. Crew cut, military black hair, made him look all the more intimidating. Shirtless, I could tell his biceps were bigger than my head.

“Ghost,” Christina replies back to him, with a very sarcastic tone in her voice. I really got the vibe that the two knew, and hated, each other.

“Alright guys, let’s be friendly!” Connor says, picking up the same vibe as me. “Envy, what’s up? I sorta had a feeling I would see you again before school started next year.” He jumps off his dragon, and walks over to shake my hand.

As he reaches his hand towards mine, I step back and I remember all the times I told him about my nightmares. I remember talking to him when I first woke up with my dream nightmare around my neck. I even went to his house, and he didn’t once mention also having one­. “You lied to me, Connor. I thought we were best friends…”

He steps back too, realizing how hurt I was. “You will always be my best friend, but I did what I had to do. You were freaking out about it so much, I just didn’t want to tell you and make it worse.” The dream nightmare around his neck was almost the exact same as mine, the only difference was that his had a ‘G’ instead of an ‘E’.

“You think that just by telling me that, I’m supposed to forgive you. Connor, you lied to your best friend. That’s not cool.” I’m trying so hard to fight the emotions building up. I just can’t, for the life of me, understand why he would lie to me.

“You need to quit your little baby crap,” Connor’s protector, Ghost, says to me. I only know he’s his protector because he has a dream nightmare around his neck, too, and it also has a ‘G’ in it.

“Ghost, cut it out! Don’t be mean to him!” Christina yells, and I have to admit, it was pretty attractive having her stick up for me. “Why are you here anyway?”

“We’re on our second quest. We have to defeat something to get a map that leads us to a stone that’s the source of power for all griffins. Part of the quest was for us to find this griffin - the one you just tried to kill – and let it lead us to the map.”

“Griffin? What are you talking about? Don’t you mean dragon?”

“Shut the ef up, kid. Did I ask for your input? Obviously not.” This guy made Hesh seem like the nicest person in the world. “But to answer your question. I meant griffin. The dimension that our dream nightmares create causes us to see griffins on this quest. Your dream nightmare probably creates a dimension that causes you to see dragons.”

I look over to the dragon that we just tried to kill. So apparently they see a griffin - whatever that is – but we see a dragon. Also we have the same quest. “Why do we have the same quest?” I ask.

Ghost rolls his eyes and is about to make a rude comment, but Christina answers before he can. “I’m not really sure about that. The quests are completely random. And don’t mind Ghost. He’s the meanest person you’ll ever meet. I knew him a long time ago, but both of us are bound from talking about that, so I can’t tell you more.” I’m completely used to people being mean to me, it’s happened my entire life, so it’s nothing new.

“He’s standing right there. You know he can here you, Connor laughs.

Ghost says, “Don’t worry, Connor.  I actually pity him. You’re lucky you get a protector like me that can actually protect you. He’s stuck with Miss La-La Fairy Princess there who couldn’t do squat to keep him safe.”