Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

          Suddenly, Connor’s griffin flies higher into the sky. I’m not sure exactly what they do, because at the same time our dragon plunges downward. We break through the storm clouds and into the rainy atmosphere under them. Our dragon doesn’t stop there, it keeps flying downward. “Christina! Fly up!” are my last words right before we smash into the open water.

          Next thing I know, we’re coming out of the water onto the shore of an island, and then landing in the sand - behind the sand is a bunch of trees.

          “How did you guys beat us here?” Connor yells excitedly as his griffin flies down from the sky, and lands next to us. Ghost doesn’t look happy with his arms crossed.

          “I really don’t know,” I say.

          Then Christina says, “It all makes sense now, Envy. Why this dragon is good even though your dreams are supposed to come to life as nightmares. Did you see how it was able to teleport under water? That was part of my dream!” She has a smile on her face as if the knowledge she just learned makes her happy.

          “You guys need to shut the ef up! This is no time to be having that conversation! Our griffins were shot with lasers, and they’re injured! We need to be a lot more worried about that right now!” Ghost hops down from his griffin and inspects its wing.

          Ghost ended up tending to both the dragons by wrapping them up with some gauze he just so happened to be carrying – which was a very weird thing to carry around with you, but it definitely helped. The three of us pretty much stayed out of his way the whole time and talked to each other, because he kept yelling at us for bothering him. While we were talking, Connor told Christina and me that his griffin had super speed, and that it must’ve been something from his protector’s dream.

          Once Ghost was finished, he spoke, “Thanks for the help guys. Not. You didn’t do anything. Three more useless people the world doesn’t need. Connor get over and get on our griffin. These things aren’t ready to fly yet, so we’ll have to let them walk. Christina, we’ll follow your dragon, since it knows where to go.” Wow, I feel so bad for Connor.

          After we are all ready, Christina uses her Gameboy – which oddly never got wet, and neither did we - to put our dragon on autopilot to where the map was. Slowly, it walks to a path that had been cut into the jungle. Connor’s griffin follows us from a distance, and I can hear Ghost yelling at him, but I’m too far away to be able to make out what he’s saying.

          “I really feel bad for your friend, Envy,” Christina looks to me and says, still in her pink bikini. I give a little half smirk to let her know I feel bad too. “I have a question about something you said before.”

          “You can ask me anything, and I’ll give you an honest answer.”

          She doesn’t say anything right away. It’s as if she’s thinking long and hard about what she’s going to say. “You said,” she pauses, awkwardly fumbling around with her Gameboy, and looking down. It sorta seemed like she was too shy to ask what she wanted to, but what could she be too shy to ask?

          “It’s alright. You can ask me.”

          “Well, see, you said you were the happiest guy in the world with me as your protector, even though I’m not as big and strong as Ghost. Is that true?” That was her question? Why was she too shy to just come out and ask it?

          I want to tell her that it was a hundred percent true, that I fell in love with her the moment I laid my eyes on her, but I just can’t find the right words to say it. Instead, I say, “Yea, that’s guy’s so mean. You are way nicer than him. Besides, I’ve only been talking to you for like a week, and we already know so much about each other. I don’t think I could handle being with a protector that didn’t talk to me as much as you.”