CHAPTER 17

"Please, pick my calls baby. I'm sorry for doing that to you. Do you know how uneasy I have been since you left? I need to know where you are. C."

Kendra stared at the message
And that must have been the thirty seventh or forty seventh message since she left him. He had been calling her for the umpteenth time and at some point she had been tempted to pick the call. If she did, then that would be it. She will have to other choice but to give him her whereabouts. And staying with Alex's mum hadn't been as bad as she thought it would be. It hadn't been bad at all. Kendra was beginning to scratch the thought she had been harbouring about the world being full of bad people. This woman was a rare gem. Not many people will have a stranger stay with her without asking questions as to why she hadn't planned on going back to her husband's house already. It's not like Sandra didn't know she's married. But maybe Alex had told her Kendra's story.

Her mind went to Alex again. She had been thinking of him often since she started staying with his mother. And not because she had any feelings for him. She was skeptical with that. Especially when she wasn't even ready for any attachments with the opposite sex. And she was still married. Alex never gave any impression if he really liked her as a friend or not. And he was always a simple gentleman. A good friend. Always making her laugh. His visits to his mother's were frequent and his mother mostly made jokes of how he often he visits now as if he was expecting Sandra to use Kendra for rituals.

She hadn't been able to stop thinking of what to do about her marriage that was already crumbling.
She mentally sighed. It had already crumbled from the first year of her marriage.

"What do you think about this one?"
Aliyah asked, cutting into Kendra's thoughts. Aliyah didn't visit her at all. She was always saying she's busy and Alex's mother always thought of her as a spoiled brat, whatever she meant by that. Kendra only talked with her on video call or skype through her laptop which is what they were doing now and Aliyah was showing her a picture from her cell phone. A picture of a collection of dresses. Kendra remembered that she had only stayed with Sandra for one week since her discharge from the hospital. The bandages were removed and in no time, she will be back to vibrant and beautiful Kendra. The same person she was before she met Connor.

"What do you think of this dress. I have to order this one. The colour is just perfect. It reminds me of my wedding colour."
Aliyah said and sighed with content.

Kendra shook her head. "Why are you going for this wedding, Liya? The lady in question isn't even close to you in any way."

Aliyah wrinkled her nose. "Well, she's my colleague. And she gave out invitation cards to my team leader."

"Aliyah. She invited your team leader. Not you."

"Zara is going. And so is Alex. Why shouldn't I go too?"
Aliyah said and shrugged.

"Right. Would you even want to know that Zara is going because she is friends with Kamsi and Alex is going because he is to be Zara's escort at that wedding. And you are only going because..."

"Okay! Fine! Point clearly taken. But I'm still going anyway. Besides, Kamsi is not my enemy. She's just my boss' secretary. Now, if you won't give me fashion advice like the Diva that you are, I'm going to wear this one anyway."
Aliyah said and that earned a smile from Kendra.

"Dey whine yourself there."
Kendra said and Aliyah winked at her. Kendra looked at the dresses she wanted to order from Jumia and picked the red and yellow evening gown.
"This should be lovely on you. I think I saw this same style on Yvonne Nelson."
Kendra said and Aliyah smiled.
"See why I said you're the best. I'm going to look lovely for him."
She said and paused to look at Kendra who frowned.