CHAPTER 3

She couldn't sleep. So when her alarm rang, she was fully awake and put it off.

   When she tried to stand up, her body protested really bad and she winced.

   Kendra dragged her body out of bed and turned to look at the man sleeping peacefully beside her. Anyone would say he slept like an angel.

Yeah.
A fallen Angel
The one cast down with Lucifer.

And he slept like a peaceful man. Kendra had sort ways to leave him. God knows she had tried keeping tabs on him to find him guilty of infidelity.

But Connor was faithful.
Very faithful.

She walked to the bathroom and looked at her reflection on the mirror.
Damn. I look like a train had run me over.

Her cellphone rang from the bedroom and she cursed, rushing in to get it.

Connor stirred on the bed and sighed and she paused for a second. He slept on.

She picked the receiver and went back to the bathroom.
"Mum. Good morning, mum."
She said. Tears appeared at the corner of her eyes. She knows she had missed being the carefree daughter before she met the devil.

Her mother sounded so happy on the other line.
"Kendra. How was your night?"

Hell!
"Great and restful. How was yours?"

"Oh, as usual."
Her mother laughed.

"You have been running away from your parents, Kendra. Visit us once in a while, it won't hurt you. We don't live underground."

Her parents lived on the mainland of Lagos. But she stayed on the island.

Staying in Banana Island was one of the biggest dreams of anybody who hears it. She had dreamt to lived there but right now, she wished she knew better.

"Mummy, I know. I'm sorry. I've just been busy."

Busy was a big word for her excuse. She had been unable to visit because her husband won't let her. Plus the constant bruises she had to cover under make up all the time. Her mother had an eagle eye and could detect it before an eagle itself.

"Too busy for your parents? That's too bad, Kendra."

"I know, mummy. I'm really sorry. I will try to visit one of these days."
If I don't die but then.

"How was Aliyah's wedding?"

Kendra made a mental note to call her vest friend and offer her usual excuse for leaving her wedding so soon without having the courtesy of leaving her gift behind.
"It was great."

"And your husband?"
The dog?
Kendra forced a smile as if her mother was right there with her. She looked up and saw the battered reflection and winced.

"Sleeping. But good."

"You father's birthday is coming up next week. Hope you won't miss it. He wants to see you, Kendra. We both want to see you. How long has it been? A year? Since you last visited?"

"Okay, mummy. I'll visit. I will tell Connor you called and I'll inform him about dad's birthday. Please tell daddy, I'm really sorry and I miss you both too."

"Do you?"

Kendra sighed. "Yes mum."

Her mother sighed.
"I was going to call Connor this morning but thank God I called you first."

"Why? What happened?"

"Nothing bad, my dear. He brought us a gift this morning. I don't know why he keeps doing it but that son in law of ours will spoil us silly with food stuff. They just arrived in this morning."

     Kendra swallowed the lump in her throat as she glanced back at his sleeping form.
Why do you keep doing this to me, Connor?!

"He did?"
She said, trying to hide her voice.

"That's very good of him. I didn't know. I'll thank him."

Her mother was silent.
"Is everything okay with you, Kendra?"

"Yes, mummy. Why?"

"You suddenly sound strange."

"I'm in the bathroom, mum. Of course I sound strange."
Its funny how her husband would beat her up and then send her parents gifts. What was he trying to achieve?
He keeps doing that!

"Extend my thanks to him."

"Yes, mum. I have to go now, mum..I'm late for work."

"Work? You own a large beauty salon, Kendra."

"Yes, but I still have to lay out my examples."

"Alright. Take good care of yourself, sweetheart."

She closed her eyes for a second. Inhaled and exhaled.
"Yes, mum. Always."
And she hung up in time for her sobs to get hold of her.
She cried again that morning will taking her usual painful bath.

     When she got out of the bathroom minuted later, he was wide awake and staring at her.
She ignored him and went to her closet room to change.

"I heard you on the phone."
He said.

"My mum. She wants to thank you for the gifts you sent her this morning."

      Connor nodded and watched her closely. She ignored him.
Of course they say silence is the best treatment for fools.
Connor walked into the room and wrapped his arms around her.

She froze.
"Stop, Connor. Let go."
She shrank away from him and he glared at her.

"I can't touch you? Is that it!?"

"No, its not!"
She snapped. "But if you would keep beating me like an animal, them you should bear in mind that I have wounds that are still healing."

His gaze relaxed.
"I'm...I'm sorry, Kendra. It won't happen again."

"Your watch word, Connor. I know it by heart."
She said, trying to put in her blouse which wasn't so easy with the pain.

"I know. But I mean it this time."

"You know, if you want me to recite your usual words with you, I'll do it."

"Its not my fault, Kendra!"
He snapped.

"You were flirting with another man and I told you I hate it when men talk to you."

She looked at him like he was unreasonable.
Well, of course he is.
"Define flirting, Connor."

He was silent.
"Alright, I'm sorry. I am. I got upset and I couldn't control it. I love you, Kendra. I really do but you do things to get my dander up."

   Kendra sighed. She didn't want to hear this today.
"Yeah. I know. I'm sorry too."
And if she tried to claim the right person there will be hell to pay this morning.

"Am I forgiven?"

She nodded. What else? He smiled and gave her a soft hug. Okay when he was being reasonable, you could love him.

I think the question here should be: Do y'all love Connor? He is definitely unlovable right? I mean he hit his own wife!
I appreciate your time in reading this. Love you!