Chapter Sixteen

Grace could not help thinking about Isaac’s lips and his tan. As Grace daydreamed she realised that Shaggy was acting strange. He had been lying on top of her feet but now he scratched and sniffed the back door. “What’s the matter Shaggy? Do you want to go inside?” Grace half opened the door when Shaggy pushed right past her and bolted to the front door. Just as somebody knocked on the door. As Grace opened the door, Shaggy ran out and jumped on the visitor. “Shaggy get off him.” He was Isaac, Grace stood still not sure if this was a dream or not.

Then Isaac gave Shaggy a big hug. “I have missed you big guy.”

“How did you get my address?”

“I got it from the dog shelter.” Hmm this was stalker behaviour. “Do you mind if I come in?” Isaac said.

“Sure.” Grace escorted him to the back yard and made him some lunch.

“Coffee, now lunch, what’s next marriage?” he said as he launched his head back in laughter. Grace giggled and hoped marriage would be on his agenda. “Okay, I have something to tell you,” he paused unsure how to say what he needed to say. “You have my dog,” he blurted out.

“What?” Grace said in total disbelief.

“I went to the shelter to pick up Shaggy and someone had already taken him home.”

“Shaggy is your dog,” Grace repeated still in total shock. She looked over at Shaggy who was death shaking his dog pillow from his bed while feathers flew everywhere. “How do I know you’re telling the truth? Your dog may have been given to someone else. I told you how I got mine from a shelter and now you have hunted me down to take what is rightfully mine,” Grace said in an upset tone. Shaggy was a part of her family. The very prospect of Shaggy leaving, dug a bigger hole in Grace’s heart. Isaac showed Grace the tricks he had taught Shaggy. It was clear Shaggy was Isaac’s dog. Isaac came back and placed his chair closer to Grace.

“I know you have fallen in love with him, I fell for his charm too. So how about we come to an agreement? I will have Shaggy Monday to Thursday and you can look after him Friday to Sunday.”

This sounded similar to a fight over children with divorced parents. “Why do you get more days?” Grace demanded.

“Because I found him first plus with weekends you get to spend more time with him. He would get the best of both worlds.” They shook on agreement. Grace looked away as she thought about what she had agreed to. He stood up to leave with Shaggy in tow.

“No,” Grace said firmly. “No, I cannot bear to live without Shaggy. You left him to further your career, I think I deserve him.” Isaac was speechless. Grace could not read his thoughts or what his next move would be.

He sat down. “Look, I love Shaggy too. Can we please work something out? Maybe I could rent a room off you and then Shaggy would not have to leave either of us," he said hopeful.

“You want to live together?” Grace asked taken aback.

“I am looking for a place to stay and this seems perfect for our situation for Shaggy.”

“Deal.” They shook hands again and Isaac went to his car to get his belongings and set-up his room.

Grace went back outside to the garden and called Louise.

“Hello.”

“You would never guess what just happened,” Grace said ecstatic.

“What?” Louise asked as she felt the excitement through Grace’s tone.

“A man has just arrived in my life,” she said pleased with herself.

Louise and Grace talked on the phone for an hour when Isaac came out. “Grace,” he called. She turned around to see him mime 'sorry' once he saw she was on the phone. Grace switched off the phone very quickly.