Unpleasantville Part 2

'Dear Diary,

I have to tell myself to just be happy... But I don't feel happy. And when I try to change that, when I try to remember what being happy felt like, I can't. I don't feel joy, I don't feel inspired. I feel numb.'

-Spencer'

Spencer sighed as she closed her diary and kept it at her bedside table. Near the table she saw the compass, The Gilbert Compass that Stefan had given her. She picked it up examining it, she scoffed and kept it in her bag. "So much for normal life," She muttered and got up. She walked downstairs and saw her mother working on the laptop. "Goodmorning." 

Vernoica looked up from the screen and smiled at Spencer. 

"Hey, um mom?" Spencer asked. Vernoica looked at her. "I wanted to give you this," She said holding out a bracelet for her mother. Spencer had taken the vervain laced jewellery from Stefan and was giving it to the people she cared about. 

Veronica frowned, "What's the occasion?" She asked taking the bracelet from Spencer.

Spencer shrugged, "Just thought you'd like it." 

"Okay..." Varonica said not buying it but wore the bracelet anyway. 

*

Matt and Caroline are outside in the schoolyard, painting a banner for the dance. "I've never seen you such a mess." Matt said smirking playfully at Caroline as she tried to get the work done.

Caroline scoffs, smiling up at Matt, "Don't talk smack." Caroline swipes the paintbrush on Matt's arm, leaving a giant smear of paint on him.

"I mean," Matt threateningly holds his paintbrush out at Caroline, who backs away, smiling. "I just thought that you told everyone else what to do." Matt and Caroline go back to painting the banner.

"Well, I do that, too, but if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. You know, I just like that we're hanging out. Who knew—you and me?"

"Well, who knew you could be fun?" Matt said playfully. They smile at each other and continue to paint

 "So what are you wearing to this dumb dance, anyway? Should we color-coordinate?"

"Uh, I'm not goin'." Matt said shrugging.

"Why not?"

"I gotta work, bussin' tables at the Grill."

Caroline raised her eyes, "Since when are you a busboy?"

"It's a job. You know, some of us have to work, Caroline. With our mom in and out, things are tight, so..."

"Well, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that I didn't know you had a job." Caroline said.

"Well, I do. I gotta go." Matt puts down the paintbrush and leaves. Caroline watches him walk away with a sad face. 

*

Jeremy is shooting pool when Anna approaches him.

“Hey. How'd it go?”

Jeremy looked up and said, “What?”

“The paper.” Anna rolled her eyes.

“Oh. I got an "A." Thanks for the articles. They really helped.”

“Cool. So what'd he say about the vampires? Did he believe it?”

“I don't even believe it. It's just a paper, Anna. Anyways, I, uh—I gotta get goin'.” Jeremy said. Jeremy gets up and walks around the pool table. Anna follows him.