Ordinary People

Spencer, Elena and Alaric enter the Old Lockwood Cellar.

“So, the Lockwoods really have no idea that these tunnels are underneath their property?” Elena asked flashing her torch light.

“Careful where you shine that thing.” Spencer said motioning to the light, “Bats hate the light.”

“Wait, what?” Elena asked. Damon scares Elena by whispering "Elena" behind her. “Ah! God, Damon!” Elena gasped.

“Scaredy-cat.” Damon smirked.

Spencer rolled her eyes and walked to Alaric.

“Just ignore him.” Alaric looked at Spencer, “That's what I do.”

“So, you really can't get in?” Spencer asked.

“No.” Damon said walking to them, “Seems even the ancient Lockwoods were anti-vampire.”

“What do you mean, ancient?” Elena asked.

Damon gestures forward, “See for yourself.”

They walk further into the tunnels, to the cave with drawings on the walls.

“Well, this is as far as I get to go.” Damon said.

Spencer gasped, “What is all this?”

“Well, as far as I can tell, it's a story. In simple, archaeological terms, it's a really, really old story.” Alaric said, “That right there, is the moon cycle.” He said while pointing at a drawing then he moved to the next drawing and said, “A man, a wolf.”

Spencer said, “A werewolf.”

“Yeah, it's the ‘Lockwood Diaries: Pictionary-Style.’” Damon rolled his eyes.

“I don't understand. I thought the Lockwoods came here with the Original Founders in the 1860s.” Elena frowned.

“I don't know.” Alaric said. “Maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, these werewolves have been here a lot longer than that.”

“How long?” Elena asked.

“Long.” Damon said, “It gets better. Show them, Ric.”

“Names.” Alaric said, “They're not native. They're written in Runic, a Viking script.”

“Vikings?” Spencer asked.

“This name here, I translated it and it reads Niklaus.” Damon said.

“Klaus.”

“And Elijah...and Rebekah.” Alaric said.

Flashback

In the 900s; Rebekah is using a knife to carve her name in Runic into the cave wall; Klaus is standing behind her, watching.

“Rebekah, let me have at it!” Klaus said.

“Quiet, Niklaus!” Rebekah said, “I am to have more concentration if I am not to slice off a finger.”

“Father will not like you handling the blade.”

“If I want to wield a blade, I shall wield a blade! Father need not know.” Rebekah said.

“He will find out.” Klaus said, “He always does.”

“That is because you always tell him.”

Klaus looked away, “I cannot help it... he frightens me.”

“He frightens us all.” Rebekah said, “That is why we stick together as one, always and forever.” She smiled, “Right, traitor?”