The Ghost World

At the Boarding House, Damon is tied to a chair with a fireplace stoker is in his chest. His ring is on the floor. Mason is watching him. Damon opens his eyes, “Oh, you got to be kidding me.”

“Hurts, doesn't it?” Mason smirked.

“Oh, Stefan.” Damon said. Stefan enters, “Low blow, Stefan. Low blow.”

Stefan frowned looking at Damon, “What the hell happened to you?”

“Whatever twisted ripper game this is, leave me out of it.”

“I didn't do this.” Stefan said.

“Quit screwing around!” Damon yelled.

“I didn't.” Stefan said. He checks the chains, “It's pretty messed up though, isn't it?”

“Yep.” Damon said. Stefan removes the iron stick making Damon scream. Stefan begins to remove the chains but stops and leaves smirking.

Mason is here, watching them but Damon can’t see him.

“Yeah, not to worry. I'll just untangle myself.” Damon said rolling his eyes. Mason opens the curtains so the sunlight can enter the room. Damon’s skin burns and he screams in pain.

*

Everyone prepares the town for the Night of Illuminations, hanging lanterns from the trees. Carol Lockwood is making a speech for the volunteers and the citizens, “As a long-time member of the historical society, I am especially proud to be kicking off this day of festivities. Thank you, volunteers. Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and flare up our lanterns in honor of the night of illumination started by our founders 150 years ago.” She said, “Here's founding family member Tobias Fell with a history lesson.” Everyone applauses.

Alaric and Jeremy are listening to the speech, “What are we doing here?” Jeremy asked turning to Alaric.

“Tobias Fell is the head of the history department.” Alaric shrugged, “I didn't have a choice.”

“All right, that explains what you're doing here.”

“Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out.” Alaric said.

Elena walks to them, “Hey, sorry I'm late. What did I miss?”

Anna appears but only Jeremy can see her, “Just a bunch of historical lies.”

Jeremy smiles at what Anna said but looks at Elena, “You didn’t miss anything.”

Tobias Fell is making is speech. “The first illumination was held in celebration with the new found prosperity that Mystic Falls enjoyed after the war.”

“After the founders stole from all the vampires.” Anna rolled her eyes.

Jeremy laughs making Elena look at him.  “What's so funny?” Jeremy looks at the stage. Elena turns her head to look too.

Anna keeps commenting on the speech, “Safe from the vampires.” Jeremy smiles. Anna smiles too, looks at him and takes his hand.

*

Caroline and Spencer help Bonnie hanging lanterns from the trees. Caroline looked at Bone, “So when you did the spell to send Vicki away, did that get rid of Anna, too?”

“I wish.” Bonnie said, “All I did was block the magic that was helping Vicki get a physical foothold here. Jeremy's still got a direct line to the other side, and as long as he wants to see Anna and she wants to see him, she's still here.”

“Okay, you don't think I can actually resist commenting on that.” Caroline said.

“There.” Spencer rolled h eyes, “You commented.”