Chapter 3

Draco sat outside in the courtyard on an old cement bench under a tree. He was alone and the wind was cold, making howling noises throughout the open area and ruffling the leaves in the trees. Most, if not every student was holed up in their common rooms, keeping warm amongst the bright burning fires. Draco pulled his cloak tighter around him and looked up at the tree. It seemed as if the leaves were hanging on for their lives, for fear of being blown away.

Draco pulled his knees together and hunched his shoulders over, trying to make sense of the world. Trying to make sense of his web of thoughts. His obscure way of thinking had strung thoughts all over the place and now he was trying to sort them. On the other hand, that wasn't the only problem Draco had.

This other problem was tall, dark and brooding. Goes by the name of Harry Potter.

Draco couldn't stand him, but he also couldn't stand to be away from him. Call it creepy, but Draco felt like he was drawn to the raven haired boy. There was just something about him that called Draco's name. But wether he realized it or not, Draco had a small soft spot for Harry.

No less, Draco returned from his thoughts and drummed his fingers on the cement bench. It was rather peaceful in the courtyard when no one was around. Albeit, it was windy and Draco pulled his cloak even tighter. He thanked Merlin that it was fur lined. Even so, he pulled his hood up and tucked his scarf inside to prevent the cold wind from attacking his face and neck.

The last thing Draco needed right now was to get sick. Even though healing spells are used to clear the sickness, he didn't need the aforementioned problem of both Hermione and Madame Pomfrey on his back. So Draco shifted himself off the bench and began walking through the courtyard, his boots crunching gravel under his feet as he went.

Draco had planned to go straight inside to the Gryffindor common room but that plan was discarded when he looked up at the sky. He had no idea how long he was outside for, so when he looked up at the sky and noticed it a dark blue, much time had passed.

Glowing stars dotted the night sky and Draco thought it was beautiful. Something beautiful in this horrible world.

Draco stopped looking at the sky and began walking again, keeping his head down and staring at his feet. He didn't need to look where he was going as he had travelled this path many, many times and could lead the way blindfolded.

The grass made little to no sound as Draco treaded on it. It was a very quiet night outside, save for the howling wind every now and then.

Apparently, not watching when walking didn't work for Draco so well. He ran into something and expected to topple backwards onto the ground, so he braced himself. But it didn't come. Opening his eyes, Draco noticed he was smushed against something. Whatever it was, he couldn't move much.

The wind whipped in the air loudly, this noise surrounding Draco's ears and making him flinch. Then, unexpectedly, the sky lit up brightly with a strike of lightning. Draco, who had a terrorizing fear of storms whimpered into whatever he was smushed against. He shut his eyes tight and tried to bury his face in deeper.

Whatever was holding him gripped him tight and it felt like he was being hugged. Draco tried in vain to discover who or what was holding him. But he couldn't see too well in the dark night. Which made him nervous.

What if it was someone who wanted to hurt him? Draco hadn't a clue, but as the seconds ticked on, that thought faded away.

An abrupt boom rumbled overhead, scaring Draco out of his wits as he scrabbled to grip tighter onto what was holding him. He whimpered again, more loudly and severely as the thunder rolled mightily in the night sky. Draco felt like he was going to cry. His legs felt like someone had cast the jelly legs jinx on him.

"Ssh, I've got you." Draco assumed what was a person, spoke. And oddly, the voice was comforting. And familiar. The thunder rolled again and Draco let out a cry. "I've got you. Jump." Wanting to be anywhere but outside, Draco jumped and at the same time, arms came under his thighs, securing them and holding him up.

He nuzzled his face into his rescuer's neck as they moved forward, carrying Draco inside. Rain began to pelt hard and fast at the two and they had only made it halfway to the castle. "We are going to have to make a run for it, so hold on tightly."

Draco did as asked and wrapped his arms around the neck of who was carrying him, gripping tight as he was jolted through the rain. Draco's hooded cloak kept the rain from getting on his face as it whipped his hands.

The roaring of the wind and rain quieted a little and Draco lifted his face from the neck he was hiding in to discover that they were back in the castle and away from the storm.

Relief flitted through Draco and he sighed happily.

Panting caught his ear and he turned to look at his rescuer in the dim light of the corridor. "Harry?" Draco hadn't called him that for a long time. Harry turned to look at Draco and only then did Draco realize how close together their faces were.

"Can you... Put me down, please?" Draco was dropped from Harry's arms as the raven haired boy released him. As Draco stood on his own two feet, he wobbled a bit and felt Harry's hand gripping his forearm.

"I... I don't understand." He didn't understand any of it. As far as Draco was concerned, he and Harry were rivals. Draco silently questioned why he was being helped by Harry. The very person who had hated him since first year. This was something knew for Draco. And it scared him a little bit.

Lightning and thunder struck outside again as the rain whipped against everything, the end howling furiously. Draco pressed himself against the wall and made small noises in a feeble attempt to calm himself.

When the lightning struck again, Draco was looking at Harry. And he was half visible in the white light as it casted across his face. And maybe, just maybe, Draco thought he looked like an angel.

"I saw you alone, outside. So I followed you, because I knew a storm was brewing. You also looked very thoughtful for a long time while you were on the bench." Harry paused in his speech and looked straight at Draco with his calculating green eyes.

"Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to know everything that you think. Goodnight, Draco Malfoy." Harry turned in the blink of an eyes and swept gracefully away from Draco and towards the dungeons where the Slytherin dorms where located.

X

Hello again, lovely people. Please enjoy this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you!