Chapter 18

"You shouldn't hurt people like that." Draco commented from where he was sitting in Harry's chair. The raven had just woken up and managed to stumble out of bed when Draco spoke. He couldn't even see him due to the chair facing the other way.

Even though he was still half asleep, Harry heard what Draco had said crystal clear. He stumbled over to his chair and stuttered a a reply. "But they hurt you." His voice was husky, raspy, and sleep ridden. "Abused you."

"That doesn't matter. You can't just go around taking matters into your own hands." Draco commented, clenching a single fist and then releasing it. "I would've dealt with it anyway."

"You're too kind for your own good." Draco felt verbally abused by Harry's words, seeing as he already knew he was and didn't need anyone to point it out for him, but he knew he was right. Besides, Harry would never hurt Draco, intentionally or not, he knew that.

"No I'm not. I'm mature and responsible." He was stubborn, Harry gave him that. After all, he was a Malfoy, and they're as stubborn they get. Harry sat on the arm of his chair, before sliding into the seat and hoisting Draco into his lap. The blonde crossed his arms and didn't listen to Harry's decreeing of mentality, but he did not argue with being sat in the raven's lap.

Harry set himself comfortable on the chair, getting cosy on the cool winter day in front of the fire. "People are going to take advantage of you." He was a good arguer, and could win any argument with his notion of persuasion, but Draco was as stubborn as his father when his mind was made up, and the boy made him weak in the knees.

"You don't know what you're talking about, you just woke up." A huff came from Draco's mouth, he wasn't in the mood to discuss with Harry anymore, feeling fed up and a bit distracted "Besides, I know what I'm doing and it's worked for me so far." He got up from Harry's lap and made to stand closer to the fire, warming his cold fingers.

"Then what do you call what Boot and McLaggen did to you? Was that just fun and games?" Harry was angry now, there was no denying it. He wasn't playing anymore. Standing up, Harry stalked over by the fire to Draco. His fists were clenched hard, teeth gritting against each other.

Draco looked sharply at Harry, letting him know of his own anger and dismissal. "Whatever it was would've been dealt with properly if you hadn't gone and done by your own fist." He turned away and drifted to the window. Maybe Harry did rush in head first, but he was just trying to protect Draco, he didn't want anyone to ever hurt him again, especially not like that.

"You're a stickler for the rules, aren't you Draco." Harry followed the blonde to the window and leant his chest against the boy's back, trapping him between the window and Harry.

"Maybe I am. Rules aren't bad." Draco shrugged. Harry was right, he really was a stickler for the rules. Though, that didn't stop him from often breaking them, sometimes 'accidentally'.

The raven wrapped his arms tightly around the blonde and tugged him to his chest. It was a safe feeling for him. "Why can't you just let me help you? Those two threatened to hurt you to a further extent if you told anyone." His voice held sorrow and misery, emotions uncommon to him. He didn't want to think about what would've happened that day had he not come around the corner. Or had they gotten their hands on him a second time.

"I'm capable of doing things myself." Draco turned around in Harry's arms to face him. He looked in his eyes and noticed that, for once, the raven was not displaying a cold, hard stare.

"Draco, please... I care for you." Harry was begging almost. If he had to, he would get on his knees and do it. "I just want you to be safe." There was no lie in his words. "Please." He said for a final time, his voice cracking with the overflowing emotion of desperateness on that one word.

There was a long, lingering silence in the air. The only sound was the crackling of the wood as the fire licked it up. For many, many moments, the two just stood, staring at each other. Draco with his arms limp by his side and Harry with his arms holding Draco in a tight grip.

Draco gave a small sigh, giving in to Harry's pleading. He broke eye contact and leaned in, resting his head on Harry's shoulder, his arms coming up to return Harry's hug.

"I'm sorry. I just don't want to be dependent on anyone." Harry knew the dangers of being too close to Draco. But those didn't matter to him. While Voldemort was still out and about, he was a danger to anyone and everyone who crossed his path, most especially, Draco. But Harry was willing to take a stand by his side, no matter the cost.

"Asking for help is never a bad thing. It's not a sign of weakness." Harry squeezed Draco tight a final time before pulling away and leading him back over the the chair in front of the fire.

Draco chuckled. "This is coming from the Ice Prince himself." He mocked, sitting in the chair. Harry stood closer to the fire, warming up his hands and face. He stood there, face lit by the glowing of the fires, orange embers burning in his eyes, thinking.

"I'll have you know that I do ask for help when I need it." Harry smiled in the warmth of the fire. "I can't always manage things by myself." He smirked, knowing that would pull a taunting response from the blonde sitting a few feet away from him.

Draco, also basking in the warmth of the fire perked up at this new information "Really? Being the King of Slytherin, I would've thought you had everyone else do your work for you." Draco was only taunting Harry, but it didn't shake off the underlying curiosity in his head.

"Get off your high horse." Chuckling quietly, eyes crinkling, Harry shifted on his feet. He moved towards Draco, laying a hand on his shoulder, gently massaging. "I'm not that kind of person." His tone was sadder, quieter, containing humbleness and wishing.

"I know." Draco pressed his knees together, fiddling with his hands in his lap, head down and eyes cast over. He really did know, now.

The two spent a few minutes like that in silence, purely just enjoying each other's company.

"Would you like to go downstairs? It is nearly dinner time, after all." Harry asked, and Draco gave a nod, heaving himself up from the chair. He grabbed the raven's hand and began to lead him out of his room.

Harry followed behind, being tugged by his hand. Slowly but surely, they made it to the door. Draco opened it and was about to go through, but Harry tugged on his hand from behind and pulled him back. He clambered into Harry's chest, confused.

The raven just smiled, and with one hand, gently grabbed Draco's face. He allowed himself to think for just a second before all sense of thoughts shut off directly, and he leaned in, kissing the blonde in his arms. Soft lips met, an impending sense of urgency rushing between them.

The kiss was a mess of sorry pleas, crying worry and gratitude. It tasted like forgiveness and relief. When they pulled away, there was spit line hanging between them. Harry wiped it away and pressed his nose into Draco's cheek, leaving a little kiss.

"Let's get to dinner."

<>
After a long wait of nearly 3 months, I have updated. There have been many times when I thought about updating, but I couldn't because I simply had no motivation. Things have been a bit hard, though I've just finished school for the term so hopefully I can crank out a few more updates. I hope you guys enjoy this. Sorry if the last bit seems a bit dumb, I ran out of motivation and had to wing it.