Chapter 26

Harry's presence made the corridor seem darker than it really was, colder than it really was. Terry and Cormac looked ready to jump out of their skin at the sight of Harry. Did they think that they could get away with this sort of shit? Again?

Draco was still staring blankly at the distance, eyes wet with the sheen of tears. Harry's heart hurt at the mere sight of him, remembering how closed off he was the last time this happened. He chuckled darkly, the last time this happened. He let it happen a second time, how could he? What does that say about him? He ached at the thought that he couldn't be there to protect him a second time, but more so that these vile beings had attempted it a second time, preying on Draco's weaknesses.

The rage curling in the pit of Harry's stomach was burning white hot, begging to be let out. The longer Terry and Cormac just stood there looking at him, white as sheets, the angrier Harry could feel himself getting. "I hope you know the seriousness of your actions." His voice come out as a dark and threatening growl.

Turning his attention back to Draco, he forgot the boys at hand for a minute. "It's okay, I'm here," he soothed, trailing his fingers gently overs the boy's cheek, "they can't hurt you anymore." In a graceful manner, Harry propped Draco up against the wall, before picking himself up. Dusting the dirt from himself, he rolled up the long sleeves of his sweater.

In what could be described as a penance stare, he faced down against the vile beings who were backed against the opposing wall. The sound of the hall was silent, except for the clack of Harry's shoes on the cold stone floors. The tension in the air was thick, almost suffocating. His green eyes conveyed no regard for the wellbeing or safety of the two in front of him, and as they narrowed, his brows furrowed into the position where they slanted directly off the brow bone in a grim manner.

"Look at yourselves, you are so weak. So pathetic." His icy words come to a stop right as he halted in front of them. Any closer and they'd be nose to nose. Anger pulsed under his skin, burning it hot. The wild thumping of his heart was loud in his ears, only serving to make him more agitated. He didn't think that anyone could be so thick in the head as to attempt sexual abuse twice, especially if they'd been brutally punished the first time.

Draco watched Harry from the floor as he tried to hold himself up. He was frightened, pale hands shaking, clutching at the coat he was wearing, trying to bring any sort of comfort. Time slowed, suspended in animation, as the world outside kept beating, a familiar rhythm in that pulse. His heart thumped weakly, as if a ghosted hand clenched around it, trying to drain the last few precious drops of life that he held dear. He struggled to breath, gulping in large breaths that came straight back out. 

He felt dirty, and he hated it, hated himself. Maybe, maybe all of this was his fault, that he brought it on himself. Tears sprung to his eyes, and he felt the sting of them as they began to dribble over the edge. This was the second time he had been taken advantage of, and there was nothing he could do about it. He was so weak, he couldn't even help himself. He couldn't help himself

Even as a child, living with the Dursley's, he couldn't help himself. Those wretched, horrible people who were his relatives, who looked at him like he was nothing more than scum on the bottom of their shoes. It hurt, oh god, it hurt so bad. Draco grabbed painfully at his chest, fingers digging into his ribs in an attempt to stop the emotional hurt.

His whole childhood, he was rejected, his existence was rejected. Being taken advantage of was a regular occurrence for him, so why did it hurt so much when it happened this time? Was it because he wasn't the only one affected by it? Was it because there were people who cared about him? Was it because of Harry?