Chapter 9

"Mate!" I repeated when he just stood there staring at my hand. When he still didn't move, I felt my heart shattering again.

I started to withdraw my hand when Daly grabbed it. He brought my hand up to his lips and kissed my knuckles.

"Mine! You are mine right?" Daly demands.

"Only if you're mine too Daly!" I reply. He grins at me.

"Only yours, always yours!" He's leaning in to kiss me when we hear the stranger growl.

"Get away from her mutt!" He says to Daly.

"She's my mate Jai, you can't interfere. You know the laws!" Daly growls back at him.

"I'm a fucking Alpha, I can change the laws! She belongs to me!" Jai says. He must be the Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack.

He was gorgeous, as I was learning that most wolves were. But he must be bat shit crazy if he thinks he can treat me like property.

"Hey asshole, I'm not yours. Firstly I'm my own person, secondly, I have a mate already. Thirdly, if you ever put your lips on any part of my person again, I'm going to have you charged with sexual assault!" I tell Alpha Jai. I'm wearing my mask again. With guys like this, you can't show any weakness.

I see his eyes widen at my cold expression and my calm demeanour. Daly is mimicking me but I can still feel him shaking.

"What is an Alpha Female doing with a Gamma might I ask? You know I can take care of you so much better than he can!" Jai taunts. I turn to see Daly red in the face.

"I don't need a man to 'take care' of me! I choose to be with Daly! Not because I have to, but because I want to!" I snarl at Jai.

I see Daly straighten at my words. Good! He's better than this asshole!

"You say that now, but he'll give you weak pups! I can give you strong, powerful pups! I know I'll enjoy the process!" He leers at me, running his eyes over my legs and chest.

"She's my mate! Try anything Jai, anything at all, and the council will be notified!" Daly growls at Jai, stepping in front of me to block Jai from eye fucking me.

Jai growls in response, and his nails start to elongate. Then he takes a deep breath and calms himself.

"Fine mutt! I might not be able to take her from you by force, but she can come to me willingly!" He claims.

I see Daly swallow anxiously. He seems at a loss for words. He just snarls at Jai but doesn't comment. Jai laughs nastily.

"Nothing to say!? You know she'll be mine eventually. I can give her so much more than you can. And I know how to woo a woman. Remember? Does your mate know you've already lost one woman to me in the past? The love of your life?! No? Oh well. I better go now so you can tell her all about it!" And with that bombshell dropped Jai laughs and walks away.

It's perfectly quiet after he leaves. Daly hasn't moved in minutes. I think about Jais words. Daly had been in love?

I expected to feel hurt, or angry, something, anything negative. But I didn't. I met Daly yesterday. He had a life before meeting me. As I had before meeting him. And he's 19 years old. Any 'love' he might have felt, would be nothing more than puppy love, excuse the pun.

I could feel the anxiety coming from him. I sigh. He really needs to work on his confidence. I see Alex coming around the corner and walk around Daly to go join my brother.

I'm not going to stand around waiting for Daly to get his act together. I want to be with him. He'll figure that out eventually. I hope!

As I step past Daly, he finally snaps out of whatever trance he was in. He grabs my hand and places it on his chest.