(81) Clothing, Groping and Chitchat

I posted an announcement on my profile that this chapter was going to be late — posted around 9am EST — because it wasn't ready at midnight. For those of you who didn't see that, I apologize but it's still update day! So I hope you enjoy chapter 81 :)

-

Where Aiden took her wasn't what she was expecting at all. When he walked them to the beach with all the certainty in the world, the two of them settling beneath a tree Marley was overwhelmed with how well her boyfriend understood her.

She was assuming they'd go for a drive somewhere. Aiden isn't exactly the kind to choose such a calm surrounding, preferring activity and excitement. But he seemed more then content when he pulled her into a straddle on his lap and she nestled into the crook of his neck, her arms wrapped around his torso from beneath his jacket.

The sound of the waves crashing, spare forest noises and distant voices of other campers passing by was all that filled the air between them for a while. It was a lovely consolation that everything was going to be alright.

"Elena called me. The girl that Trish was bullying." Marley elaborated her identity for Aiden's sake.

She left the solace of his shoulder to be face-to-face. He raised a questioning eyebrow, brushing his thumbs along her hips from outside her jacket. "What did she have to say?"

Marley took a deep breath, "She's putting the baby up for adoption. That she was sending Jordan updates and he didn't seem to care. That Trish — Jordan's girlfriend — called her and they talked."

"Wow," Aiden muttered, "The last part...I can't imagine those two talking about anything."

"Me either," Marley admitted, "But it was nice closure. And what else was she going to do about the baby? It would...have no father." She played with the lapels of his jacket, staring down at her hands. "No decent one, anyway. Apparently the new family are amazing and ultimately, it gives the child a better life."

"Family doesn't have to be blood," Aiden said.

"Speaking of, have you spoken to Ian lately? I haven't had the chance to call him."

"Today," he responded, "He was hanging out with Dylan and the Texan girl. Apparently they all get along really well."

Marley felt a small smile lift her lips. Aiden's words felt like a sun through the cloudiness of her day. Not only was his brother and someone Marley loved free to be himself at an accepting school, with a boy who was good to him and that he was in love with, but he also found a friend outside of his relationship. Vanessa — someone spunky and badass who Marley was looking forward to meeting in person.

"It feels like so long ago that you were worried about Ian finding friends."

"I was worried — before I knew about Dylan."

Marley studied his expression carefully, watching his eyes flicker towards the waves, distant. After another minute of perception, she traced his jaw with her thumb. "It still bothers you. That he kept it a secret."

His eyes flickered to hers again, his hands tightening around her waist, "I should've been the person he went to when he came back from the park after meeting Dylan that first night and not months later. I should've been more of his brother than a parent."

"You're the best brother anyone could ask for," Marley said firmly, her eyes remaining locked into his to establish more seriousness behind her words. "And anyone you love always feels safe and open and cared for. Don't take it personally. Coming out can be hard for someone no matter who it is they're breaking the news to."