(18) Defeat

Double update of 17&18. Go back a chapter if your notification took you here!

-

One Week, Three Days Later

"This doesn't make any fucking sense, blondie."

"Yes it does, Leo. You're just not absorbing it."

"Because it's bullshit! Why the fuck do we need to know about bacteria anyway? It's bacteria. It doesn't exist."

"Yes, it does!"

"Show me then."

"Under a microscope, I can-"

"Government BS, it's all fake. If I can't see it with my own eyes, then I don't believe it."

"Guys," Marley pleaded, resting her forehead on her open textbook, "please be quiet. I have about twenty five more questions to get through and I already have a headache."

"How'd you finish ten already?" Tristan demanded from beside her, while Leo grunted across the metal table from her, Gabby beginning to go back to tutoring him.

"Honestly?" Marley gestured to Leo and Gabby's rowdiness in front of her, her expression tired and defeated, "I have no idea. Can it just be Friday?"

"Only five more days. Plus, we're doing yoga on Friday so that will help. According to Cosmo, it's supposed to increase libido, and Brendan is all over that."

Marley blushed, thankful that Tristan couldn't see it from where her face was still buried in her textbook, "Is there nothing that Cosmo hasn't covered yet? And I don't understand you two."

"Hey, at least we're not Kelly and Ryan. We all have witnessed those two scream at each other and then they're in Ryan's room for a few hours directly after the argument."

Marley lifted her head and rolled her eyes when Kelly looked up from her laptop, shooting Tristan a sharp look with narrowed brown eyes, "You and Brendan are, and I quote, exclusive but not officially dating but also technically together, and you're calling us dysfunctional?"

"Bree and Jason seem to be the only relationship that makes sense right now," Sarah sighed from Kelly's left, "Gabby and Ethan are weird, Tristan and Brendan aren't even dating, I'm single which is shitty, Kelly and Ryan are fighting like...always, and Marley and Aiden-"

"Don't," she cut Sarah off brutally, making the entire table atmosphere go tense and cold, "Just don't, Sarah."

Her blue eyes turned soft with guilt when they locked with Marley's hazel ones, "I'm sorr-"

"Just...it's fine. Can we work, please?"

Gabby's head shot up from across Marley, "I can tell Aid-you've done your half already. You're wearing yourself-"

Marley slammed her textbook shut, her eyes burning with rage at how everyone was looking at her, waiting for her to explode like they had been for the last two weeks - walking on careful feet as if she was a landmine with more and more gentleness every passing day.