12

Going into Monday Annabelle was concerned. Concerned for her mother's well-being. Her mother hadn't eaten anything all week and she was even at the point where she wasn't hiding her morning sickness anymore. Annabelle noticed that her mother spent most of her time in her room crying and she had been walking around the house in a pair of Lindsey's pajama pants and a long sleeve shirt of his. And when she did appear, her hair was in a bun and her eyes were red from crying. And it's only been two days.

Monday morning, Annabelle busted into Lindsey's classroom and immediately wrapped her arms around her dad.

"She's a mess." Annabelle sighs.

"What do you mean she's a mess?" Lindsey hugs her back.

"She's not eating, but she's throwing up. She hasn't showered in like two days, she's wearing your clothing." Annabelle states.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Lindsey sighs.

"Dad, you have to come home." Annabelle pleads.

"Anna, I love you and I love your mother. But she was awful quick to accuse me, and I don't know if I want to go back to that." Lindsey sighs.

"But Dad, she's miserable." Annabelle whines.

"I know, I just need some of my own time and I think your mother does too." Lindsey states as the bell rings.

***

On Friday, Stevie was no better, and Anna walked into Lindsey's room she looked absolutely drained.

"I'm worried about her dad." Anna groans.

Lindsey just sighs and leans back in his chair.

"Your mom is a big girl. She'll be fine," Lindsey states.

"Dad, I don't think she will. Something's wrong with her. And I'm staying at Ellen's tonight, Graham has that stupid doll." Annabelle states.

"When is that project going to be over?" Lindsey questions.

"Next Friday." Annabelle states.

"If it will make you feel better, I'll check on your mom tonight." Lindsey states.

"Please, dad," Annabelle replies.

Lindsey, with Max by his side, rang the doorbell at six thirty Friday night. He had Mexican food, knowing that if Anna claims Stevie wasn't eating she most likely wasn't and there was no way she was going to even cook when Annabelle wasn't home. She opened the door and he could tell that she was completely and utterly heartbroken.

"Lindsey?" She asks sadly.

"Hey, Steph." Lindsey sighs.

"You brought me a seven-layer burrito?" She questions.

"I did. You're right. How'd you guess?" Lindsey sighs.

"Just lucky." Stevie sighs.

"Annabelle was worried about you. Said you weren't eating but were throwing up. I attribute that to the stomach flu, and I remember that every time you were sick with it, all you could tolerate was Mexican." Lindsey hands the bag over.

Stevie gently takes it in her hands and opens the door wider.

"Lindsey, I'm sorry." Stevie sighs.