7

By the time Spring break came, Lindsey was spending four out of seven nights at Stevie and Annabelle's and as they were loading up the SUV to head to San Francisco he was antsy. He was taking a road trip with his family, and of course Max and Sulamith.

Half way through the journey Stevie flicks on the radio and her song came on and she groans.

"Seriously." She states laying her head o the glass.

"Come on mom, it's a good song," Anna says from the back.

"It's on all of the time." Stevie groans.

"I'm enjoying it." Lindsey shrugs.

Stevie knows where they are as soon as they turn into the familiar suburb. And the closer they get to Ruth's house the more nervous she gets and starts absentmindedly wringing her hands. Lindsey notices and takes her left hand in his right and smooths his thumb over her knuckles.

"Steph, you're going to be fine." Lindsey smiles.

"I know I just. I haven't seen her in so many years and I'm sure she knows why you broke up with me and she probably hates me." Stevie shakes her head.

"Steph, she loves you. She's loved you since the day I brought you home to her in the sixties." Lindsey chuckles.

"I know but." Stevie starts.

"Stephanie...stop." Lindsey laughs pulling in the driveway and parking.

Annabelle is out of the car with the dogs faster than Lindsey, and as she lets them use the bathroom a woman with grey hair piled into a bun an apron around her waist and a sixties style dress comes out onto the porch. Anna looks up at her and they lock eyes and Ruth's hand comes to her mouth and her eyes well up in tears.

"Annabelle?" She asks.

"Yeah," Anna says brushing a strand of blonde waves behind her ear.

"Oh, you look so much like your mother. Can I hug you?" The woman asks.

"Of course." Anna smiles as the woman comes down the stairs and immediately wraps her arms around her.

"Hi mom," Lindsey says walking over and hugging them both.

"Is your mother here?" Ruth questions Anna.

"She's paralyzed by fear in the car." Anna points.

"Lindsey, you didn't get a new vehicle, did you?" Ruth asks staring the SUV down.

"No, it's Stevie's. The three of us and the dogs were not fitting in my truck." Lindsey shakes his head.

"Well get her out of the car." Ruth scolds pushing her son towards the mode of transportation.

Lindsey walks over to Stevie's side of the car and opens her door.

"Lindsey I can't go in there. She hates me, I know she does." Stevie says looking through the windshield at the older woman staring the car down.

"If I have to carry you I will." Lindsey sighs.

"Lindsey..." Stevie shakes her head.

Lindsey just sighs and unbuckles her before taking her into his arms, Bridal style.

"For fuck's sake put me down." Stevie screeches wiggling in his arms.