Chapter 23

The second I exited the office I was momentarily relieved as the smell of Eric's burning corpse vanished from my nostrils. The relief only lasted a mere second before the overwhelming stench of blood replaced the burning of flesh. I followed the smell as I slowly slinked down the hallway toward the large recreation area I had discovered the first time I had entered Fang's base. As I drew closer the sounds of fighting grew louder and louder, bouncing off the narrow walls of the hallway and continuing down into the darkness behind me. Suddenly, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck spring up and the air around me swirl with movement. Instinctively I ducked just as Sai appeared, his katana swinging and slicing into the wall directly behind where my head had been mere seconds before. Sai did not falter or even pause before his blade was swinging down with inhuman speed and deadly precision. I jumped out of the way, his blade missing me by centimeters before turning and ducking once more, the force of his blade blowing through my hair like the wind on a stormy day.

His attacks were quick and relentless. I could feel sweat beading on my forehead as I used all the speed I could muster to dodge his unyielding attacks. I felt helplessness swell up inside me as the strength seeped out of my body. There was no way I could keep this up forever and I had no weapon to block or return his attacks. All I had was my fists and my speed, which were barely keeping up. I cursed as I felt his blade slice the top of my arm.

Sai paused, smiling as he swiped his sword in the air, sending the blood that adorned it flying against the wall to his right. I held my arm, panting, as I glared daggers into him. He looked at me amusedly, his breaths even and steady. His long black hair was smooth and unruffled as if he hadn't just been attacking me repeatedly at inhuman speed.

"I'm impressed" Sai said, his deep tenor not quite fitting to his small stature. "There aren't very many new vampires that can dodge my attacks."

I didn't bother to give him a response as my mined reeled trying to think of any possible option to get out of this situation. Sai continued to gaze at me, his smile un-nerving, as he gently touched the edge of his blade. "It's a shame really..." He continued, directing his gaze to his blade and the remnants of my blood upon it. "If only Ace would have you join us instead of killing you, we could have a great asset. Your blood is strong and so is your will. With time your skill could far surpass the majority of the vampires in this gang."

He looked back at me, his smile twisting into something more vile. "As long as we have your little bitch you are under our control, you are ours. If only Ace would realize that! There are so many more ways he can torture you that way!"

Sai let out a sardonic laugh as I once again felt anger flare up at the mention of Jounouchi. When his laughter died down, he once again gazed upon me and his smile widened even more. "That's good Seto Kaiba! Let that anger flare! Killing you will be no fun if you give up!"

With that, Sai crouched down into a fighting stance, hovering his blade in front of him at an angle so the tip was facing the opposite wall of the hilt. Without another word he lunged at me, practically disappearing from my sight with his speed. I jumped backward just as he attacked, his sword hitting the floor where I had been moments before. Relentlessly, he swung his blade as I struggled to dodge. I couldn't keep this up forever... I had to do something. There was no way I could fail here. I had to rescue Jounouchi...

I would rescue Jounouchi.

My mind made up, I steeled myself as I continued to dodge his attacks. I let out a growl as I jumped backward from yet another frontal swing. Sai, taking advantage of my slowing speed, thrust his blade forward. A scream of pain escaped my lips as his blade easily pierced my left shoulder, sliding through muscle and bone as if it was a knife through softened butter. Sai let out a maniacal laugh that was cut short when I used my left arm to firmly grab onto his wrist. Then with my right, uninjured arm, I gathered up as much strength as I possibly could. I screamed murderously and swung with all my might, my fist landing with a loud thud into the others face. Sai screamed in pain as I held onto his wrist, preventing the small vampire from flying down the hall with the force of my blow. Without pause I hit him again, and again, and again, screaming out of desperation and pain. The blade in my shoulder was moving and twisting with each attack but I did not let go. I could not let myself be defeated here.