Chapter 28: Talent Discovered

"So, what's this?" Fiona anxiously asked.

"You." Michael answerred.

"Why?"

"Why what?" He smiled, sneakily.

"Why did you... How... I.." She stuttered.

"I asked Nina to ask you to sing for her, then she taped you." He laughed. Fiona glared at Nina, but that just made her laugh.

"How could you do this to me, Nina? You know I don't like my voice being exposed!"

"I thought it's time for you to share it with the world." Her eyes shone. "Besides, you have a great voice."

"That's a lie, Nina, and you know it."

"I'm not lying. It's true, you know."

"Wait wait wait! This might lead to an argument. And besides, Nina's right, Fiona. You have a beautiful voice."

"No, I don't."

"To be in all honesty, Fiona, I know you think that your voice is nice. You just won't admit it. Don't let this talent of yours go to waste. You should ask Joseph to listen to it. He has good taste in music" Michael explained, when coincidentally, Joseph walked in.

"What's this discussion about, if it's not that private? And listen to what?"

"This." Michael handed the recorder to his father.

"NO!"

"Trust me. It's for the best." Michael calmed her down. Joseph played the recorder and was awestruck.

"This is a short tape, really, but I see you have potential in singing. Your voice is smooth and clear. You, my dear, have great talent. Develop it more, and who knows? You could be a star."

"Joseph doesn't lie when it comes to talent."

"Well, I... Don't really know what to say. I guess it's okay... But not that like your voice, Michael."

~

         Fiona wasn't feeling well later that day. She lost her appetite, experienced a headache and vomiting. She didn't tell Michael about this because she doesn't want him to worry, but he soon found out. Like what she expected, he was grieved and burdened.

"Why didn't you tell me anything?" He was anxious.

"Well, I didn't want you to worry like how you're worrying right now."

"Why shouldn't I worry? You're my girl, and I have the right to worry. Come on, I'll take you to the hospital."

"Michael, I'm fine. There's nothing to worry about. I'm telling you. It's alright."

"No, it's not alright." In that moment, she blacked out and fainted. Michael panicked and carried her to his car. He drove as fast as he can to the nearest hospital he could reach. His sea of fans did not stop him. The huge cameras that were in his way did not stop him.

~

"She has what?!"

"Yellow fever. Very common these days. She'll be okay, but she needs to be confined in the hospital for a few days."

"But... I hear yellow fever can cause death...."

"Yes, it can, but in her situation, less chance of her to meet death."

"Thank you, doctor." He sat in the cornern of the room. Tears falling from his eyes. Is she really going to be okay or was the doctor bluffing just to make me feel better. He just prayed and hoped that everything will go alright. He was very depressed. He wiped his tears away and just stared at her. With his sharp eyes, he saw her finger twinge. Was he delighted that she was okay.

"Fiona?" No answer.

"Fiona. Wake up, please." No answer.

"Please. Just at least say a word or open your eyes." At that moment, she open her eyes. She was looking around the room.

"What? Huh?"

"You fainted, but everything's gonna be okay."

"Why am I here? All I had was a little headache..."

"No, you had yellow fever."

"Well, I feel fine now.. Can we leave?"

"No. You need to be confined here in a few days."

"But I feel fine."

"You may be fine for now, but you could feel different some time later." She just closed her eyes and nodded in response. Michael held her hand tightly and didn't want to let her go.

~

         One week later, Fiona got out of the hospital. When she and Michael got out, they, of course, were surrounded by people again. Fiona was shoved by one of the reporters because he was trying to get an interview with Michael. Michael saw the incident and grew very furious. He walked over to that reporter and...