District Seven Reaping

*Rolf*

District Seven was the only district to not follow the unspoken "girls first" rule. It wasn't wrong or anything, it was just the way of Seven. It was our tradition and we stuck to it every single year. I didn't mind it so much, at least I think I didn't mind it so much. I figured you'd know whether or not you were reaped faster. Less time to panic for the boys.

My sister and I sprinted to the square. We were by far the fastest two people in our district. My sister was just a year older than me and she had no trouble at all in keeping up with the pace I set. We seemed almost invincible together. Almost is the key word. I knew that we weren't actually invincible, but sometimes it felt that way.

I was just a mere 12 years old. This was the first year I was eligible. I wasn't afraid; I was terrified. I was scared for both my life and my sister's, though she was 13.

Very soon a boy's name was drawn. I walked up slowly, for you see, it was my name that was drawn. I was shaking and it was obvious that I was terrified. I couldn't help it though. No matter what I did, I couldn't get my shaking to cease. It got even worse when the girl's name was drawn and she walked up, coming to a stop beside me. She gave me a hug, instead of the usual handshake between tributes. I saw tears in her eyes as we were lead away.

*Stella*

My name is Stella. I am 13 years old and I have a brother named Rolf, age 12. We are the swiftest people in our district. It was extremely difficult for anyone to catch us.

I helped Rolf pick out his reaping outfit, because this was his first year. We were running a little late do we started to sprint to the square. I guided him to where he was supposed to stand and then went to stand with my age group.

The boy's name was called-that's how things worked in D7; the boys were called first-and it was Rolf's. I pleaded with my eyes to all the boys, for someone, anyone, to volunteer for him. I then wished that we were the same gender so that I could volunteer for him. They moved on to the girls because no one volunteered for my brother. No one even moved.

My name was called next. I didn't want to think about what would happen to our parents if neither of us came back to them. I shakily walked up to the platform. Tributes normally shake each other's hands, but I gave him a hug instead. Tears were streaming down my face when it was announced to the square, "District Seven, your tributes this year are the brother/sister duo of Stella and Rolf!"