District One Reaping

*Destiny*

I was prepared for the Games, just like everyone else in District One. That doesn't mean I was happy about it. My family depended on me to bring home at least half the food, maybe more. I don't have a father, you see. He left us, because my can get really, I suppose, cranky, at times. That doesn't justify his behavior in my mind, but it also doesn't change anything in the present to dwell on the past.

I snapped out of my reverie and quickly got dressed for the reaping. I was running late, like usual. I helped my little sister get dressed for the first year that she would be eligible the Games. She was nervous, and so was I, but for her more so than myself.

We stood in our distinct groups, her with the 12s and myself with the 14s, and waited for the moment we all knew was coming. Our escort plucked a slip and we tried to wait patiently as she drew out the silence and almost strangled us with it. I was growing more impatient by the second. Finally she opened the slip and read a name, but not just any name: my name.

I was shocked that no one volunteered. Someone always volunteers in our district, but today the square was eerily quiet. Perhaps I spoke too soon. As soon as my foot hit the stage my sister screamed, “No!” and launched herself at me. She was dragged away by a Peacekeeper and shot in the middle of the square.

I started to sob, knowing for sure she was dead, then became angry. I started thrashing wildly at anything I could get my hands on. I knew I was being filmed and all of Panem would see my erotic behavior, but, frankly, I didn't care. Let them think I was mad. It might make people think that I'm not a threat and I might just stay alive. My mother would be tortured if both her children died, so right then and there I made the promise that I would make it back home.

*Cole*

I woke up eager. Today was the reaping, my fourth to be exact, if you're just counting the ones where I was eligible for the Hunger Games, that is. I'm not really a technical person, if you can tell.

I'm an only child, so I've been kind of spoiled all my life, especially since I'm from One. We are the Capitol's favorite, and everybody in Panem knows it.

I took a quick shower and threw on the first thing I saw in my closet, because all my outfits were suitable reaping outfits.

I went to our backyard and started practicing with a spear because I had extra time. I threw it at a dummy several times, hitting my target exactly. I smirked because I knew I was going to win this year's Games. I was going to make sure of it. I had been waiting for my chance for long enough. I was volunteering this year, and that was that. There wasn't any way I was letting someone else have the glory of being crowned as Victor.

I watched the girl get picked and her sister, I believe, rush up to her in protest. I also watched the Peacekeepers control the situation, like they should. The sister was shot, and we all knew she was dead. The Peacekeepers aim to kill and they never miss. I wasn't fazed by the event, not like my fellow tribute was. She looked insane, but maybe that was what she was going for. I wasn't planning on asking her.

“Settle down!” I heard. I couldn't tell who screamed those words, but the next thing I knew, the crowd was silent.

“Now for the boys,” the escort said.

“I volunteer!” I shouted right away, pushing my way to the stage.