The Arena (1)

THE ARENA

The 24 tributes stood facing the cornucopia. A great expanse of desert lay ahead of them. Weapons were scattered on the sand in the center. Trees surrounded the open area. The countdown had begun, and hearts started pounding. Some were trying to figure out how they were to get to the weapons first, so they could make a run for it. Others were laying out plans to kill as many tributes as possible.

Time was running out. The clock ticked backwards. 3, 2, 1. Tributes ran from all directions. Rose runs toward the nearest spear, only to be beat there by Cole. He snarled at her, waiting for her to make her move. “Well, 8?” he asked. “Any last words?” She said nothing, taking a few steps back. He matched her moves. She turned and ran, making it only a few feet before the spear was flung through her body. She fell to the ground, and her cannon went off. The sound startled others who were running to the woods.

Kaleb froze in his tracks as he heard the sound. He knew he didn't want to be next, but he made it inevitable by hesitating. Krista and Kayle, newly armed with knives and an ax chased him. Once he saw them coming, he began to run again, but it was too late. Krista threw an ax at him and it took him down. His cannon soon sounded.

Bethany and Trey both ran toward another ax. It was in the middle of both of them. Bethany, being older, reached it first. Before Trey could try to fight her for it, she threw it as hard as she could at him. His cannon went off.

Grace ran across the sand. Her shoes felt heavy, so she kicked them off. As soon as she did, she knew she made a mistake. The sand was much hotter on her feet than she was expecting. Two Careers ran after her. She ran and ran. It didn't seem like there was anyone that cared to chase after her for so long. She looked back and no one was there. She stopped to catch her breath. A shadowy figure was nearing. She took off again, but soon fell flat on her back. She tried to get back up, but two knives were flung at her by Mason, with Kyle looming closely by. She heard her cannon go off.

After chasing down Grace, Kyle went back to the center of the cornucopia. He noticed Meghana going after a sword. He chased her with a sword of his own. He quickly pierced her body with it and ran off to find new tributes to kill. He didn't wait for the sound of her cannon, which went off shortly afterward.

Kurt quickly swiped a bow and some arrows, conveniently located right next to his starting point. Jackson, angry at him for stealing his weapon of choice picked up the closest weapon to him, a spear, and headed for Sam, someone Kurt had been seen talking to during training. He soon had Sam on the ground. Kurt reacted by shooting a series of arrows at Jackson, each hitting their mark perfectly. Jackson went down and his cannon went off. Kurt ran to Sam, pulled him to his feet, and the two ran off in the woods together. A new alliance had formed.