Chapter 7 - Evangeline

Evangeline peered into the hole that smelled faintly of roses. It was dark, almost an obsidian color, but was green and yellow on its outer edges. She stuck her hand in and giggled when her hand became all tingly.

At lunch with Lord Darrow, who she was staying with for the time being while Aedion and Lysandra were on their honeymoon, she mentioned the hole to him. He had simply assumed the hole she was talking about was a rabbit burrow in the rose hedges, not a hole that led to another world. He simply thought it was her imagination that made the hole so exciting, or perhaps the fact that she might find a rabbit. Of course, he was wrong.

Evangeline peered deeper into the hole, wanting to get a closer look. Luckily the hole was just big enough for her to crawl through. Her curiosity eventually got the better of her, and Evangeline crawled through the hole, into a new world that smelled more like spring than how her world currently did.

Evangeline used to think that the Caraverre gardens or her Aunt Aelin's gardens were the most beautiful garden ever, but nothing could compare to these gardens. Roses, poppies, daffodils, lilac, and more. So many flowers, more than Evangeline could count, let alone name. Her mouth hung open and she sniffed the sweet air. It kinda smelled like candy, or the soap Lysandra bought. Evangeline did a full turn around, somehow missing the fact that the small obsidian hole behind her was gone. She was about to run off, explore the garden and perhaps pick a few flowers, when she heard huge thundering steps from behind her.

Evangeline shuddered, the steps reminding her of the war she witnessed, of the enemy approaching, ready to destroy them all. She slowly turned around, preparing herself to meet a group of soldiers, only to blink in surprise at the beast before her.

The beast was large. It had tall curving horns coming from atop its head, large claws similar to the ones from Lysandra's ghost leopard form, and thick fur that covered its body. Evangeline took a small step back, suspicions and curious, yet cautious of the creature. The creature seemed to size her up in the same way, looking up and down her small body, before its eyes came to settle on the scars on her face. Evangeline took in a deep breath, trying to calm herself, reminding herself that scars can be beautiful. Another lesson that Lysandra and Aunt Aelin taught her.

"Why are you on Spring Court land little one?" the beast said, his words like distant thunder and crackling lightning. Evangeline blinked in surprise though. Spring Court? She had never heard of the place. What a silly name too, the lord of this court must not be very creative.

"I didn't know this was the Spring Court. I was just in Terrasen, at Lord Darrow's manor to be exact," Evangeline said, trying to make her words sound strong too.

"How did you get here? You are near the center of my lands," the beast asked, and once again his words thundered and crackled.

"I came through a small black hole that smelled like roses. I crawled through it over, over..." Evangeline started to say but stopped when she couldn't find the hole. It was nowhere to be found. She hadn't even wandered more than a few steps from it. How could it just disappear?

"I swear it was right there! It's gone! How will I go home!" Evangeline said, her voice breaking with worry. When she turned away from the beast she saw a flash of bright light and a sound of thunder. When she turned around she saw a tall blonde haired man was standing were the beast once stood. Her mouth formed an 'o' shape and she again blinked in surprise.

"Are you a shifter, or maybe you're Fae?" Evangeline wondered aloud. The man walked closer to her and she stepped back cautious. The man stopped, she stopped.

"I am Fae," he stated, and Evangeline noted the evidence that proved this. The ears, the power that somewhat demanded to be noticed, and the grace. But he did not have the elongated canines as the Fae did at home. She tilted her head to the side, studying him some more.

"My name is Tamlin and I am the High Lord of the Spring Court. You are lost and somehow found your way onto my lands," Tamlint said, repeating everything that she already knew.

"Tamlint? What a horrible name, to be named after lint," Evangeline remarked. Tamlint blinked and his eyebrows crossed.

"I said Tamlin, not Tamlint," he said.

Evangeline crossed her arms. "I heard Tamlint."

Tamlin sighed and stepped closer to her. This time Evangeline did not step back. She crossed her arms and planted her feet. This Fae lord did not scare her anymore.

"Who are you, little human?" Tamlin asked.

"Lady Evangeline of Caraverre, ward of Lord Darrow, adopted daughter of Lady Lysandra and Lord Aedion and well I could keep going because I have a lot of aunts and uncles but that's probably enough," Evangeline listed, letting herself get kinda sassy.

"Somehow I can tell you are going to be a handful," Tamlin said drearily," but it's my duty to escort you off of my lands. I will take you to the border but no farther."

"But I do not live here. I live on the continent of Erilea, not- whatever this place is called."

"Prythian. I have not heard of this Erilea as you say," Tamlin answered. Evangeline crossed her brows in confusion.

"But I was just- oh, oh!"

"What?"

Evangeline stepped back and looked around. "This, this is another world, isn't it! Except not the one where the Valg came from, but maybe one of the worlds Aunt Aelin went through!" As Evangeline spoke her thoughts the more it made sense to her. She had crawled through a portal, and now she was in another world.

"Another world? What!" Tamlin asked, obviously shocked. Evangeline nodded and gazed at the new world around her. Tamlin sighed. "So to get you home, I have to find another world?"

"I guess so!"

"Damn it. This means I have to talk to some people that definitely don't walk to talk to me. Fuck."

Evangeline laughed.

A/N

You can't imagine how fun this was to write. Tamlint, *snorts.

Thanks for over 100 views and over 10 votes! Please comment, read, share, and maybe vote! That would be much appreciated!