Chapter 3 - Rhysand

Feyre was gone. Gone.

I run to the spot where she and Nesta had disappeared. No trace of them was left behind, except for the book and knife Nesta had had. The book.

I gently set Kai down on the ground. It's as if he can sense my distress because inky frozen darkness swirls around him as he begins to cry. I try to shush him and calm him down but nothing works. He cries more and the ground begins the freeze. I leave Kai be for just a second as I grab the book. Then I scoop Kai back into my arms and winnow us back home, heart heavy and dread seeping into my veins.

✧✦✧

I read the book over and over and over. There's nothing on how to bring Feyre back. Nothing at all. Just opening a portal and going through it, but nothing about returning. And everything about these marks is confusing. There's no real information on them, just how to use them in spells with a basic meaning of what the mark stands for.

My court watches me with sad eyes. Amren is already back and looking for clues on how to get Feyre home and Mor will be returning tomorrow. Elain has delayed her trip and she's obviously worried about her sister, no sisters. Even though it was Nesta's fault Elain will still worry for her.

Kai shifts from where he sits on my lap and wakes up cranky. I lift him off and set him beside me but ice starts to form on the couch. Elain steps over to help, but freezes midstep.

"Elain?" I ask, and Cassian and Azriel look over in concern. Elain's eyes are glassy, and far-off. Is she having a vision? Then her foot steps down, her eyes return to normal, and she smiles. She picks up Kai and coos to him before looking at me and smiling.

"The queen of fire will look out for her but she still needs your help. Bring her home," Elain says and walks out of the room with Kai in her arms. I stare after her.

"What the fucking hell is that supposed to mean!" I shout exasperated.