Chapter 9

A/N Oh gosh. I got a damn scratch on my leg. Well, read CodysAngel1997's stories if you like Cody Simpson and Jake Thrupp. I mean, who doesn't!? <3

* * * *  1 Year Later  * * * * 

I roamed throughout the building with Niall, going towards the dinner table. There, we saw my father, all tensed up as he noticed our presence. 

"Dinner is about to be ready." He says as he fumbled with the paper in his hands. He reached down to grab the portfolio, and placed it in there. Niall and I looked at each other confused, ready to be lectured. Instead, our father sat there silent, playing with his thumbs. This worried me.

"Dad, is there anything that you need to tell us?" I asked him. He jerked his head up to look at me with the worst pair of sorrow eyes I've ever seen from my father. 

"Nothing. Everything's grand. Just…grand." He says as he looked at Niall. 

"How's school?" He asks as he tries to erase the awkward silence. Niall spoke first, talking about how he met a new student that moved here from Bradford. I knew who he was talking about, but I didn't care. 

My eyes went from Niall, to my father, to the portfolio. It stared back at me, waiting for me just to snatch it away and read what's in there. It must've held secrets, deep and dark secrets that my father has been keeping from me. It's not everyday that your father would read the same paper everyday at dinner. 

But to me, it became a routine. For a whole year now. It started way back when we barley moved in. I didn't care much about the paper, but as soon as I saw it become a routine, I got curious. Too curious. Before, I even got a hold of the portfolio, but never the papers. I knew it contained something important, but what was it exactly?

"Melissa?" I hear my dad say, Niall nudging me on my rib. 

"Yes father?" I ask, paying attention to him now.

"Niall said he wanted to invite the new student, um…"

"Zayn." Niall says, helping out my father. 

"Oh yes, Zayn. Well, Niall said he wanted to invite the Zayn boy to dinner tomorrow night. Would that be a problem with you Mel?" He asks. I glanced over to Niall and back at my father. 

"Not at all dad. It's fine with me if Zayn came over." I smiled at him and Niall. They both nodded their head in agreement, understanding me. The butler, Mark, comes over with our dinner and drinks. I smiled at him as I thanked him. We sat there in silence, eating away. 

* * * * 

Niall drove us to school, my hands fumbling around. 

"Why are you so nervous Mel?" I hear Niall ask. I turned my head to face him. 

"I've just been thinking, about…about the portfolio Dad keeps." I say as I glanced over at the road. 

I saw him nod his head from the corner of my eye, his hands gripping the wheel. He parked the car at the lot, and we got out, girls giggling at the sight of my 'brother'. I rolled my eyes at them as I walked away. 

"Melissa!" I hear Niall scream. I turned around to be knocked over by someone. I groaned in pain as I looked up to see chocolate eyes smiling at me. 

"Oh, um..." He laughs awkwardly as he gets up. He helped me get up and picked up my bag for me. 

"Thanks Zayn." I smiled as I took my bag. 

"Mel, you ok?" Niall asks, panting as he looks at the both of us. 

"Yea. I..uh..I kind of pushed her away before the car hit her." Zayn says, turning away so I couldn't see his flushed face. Niall patted his shoulder in understandment, his ocean eyes winking at me. 

"I..uh..I g-got to go." I say awkwardly, walking away from them. Gosh, those chocolate eyes, and his broad muscles. His looks are amazing, but is his personality uncompetitive to his looks? 

* * * * * 

As soon as Zayn got to the house, I ran to the door, opening it wide to see him with a boquet of daisies.

"Uh...t-these are f-for you." He smiles, his cheeks becoming a bright shade of pink. I smiled at him and thanked him. 

"Zayn, come in." I hear Niall say behind me, Niall's hands ruffling my hair. I rolled my eyes as I smacked his hand away from my head. 

"My hair is precious." I warned him as I letted Zayn come inside. Niall rolled his eyes at me, and looked back at Zayn. 

"She reminds me of you." He says, pointing his index finger at Zayn. He laughed softly as he stood there awkwardly. 

"Zayn, Mel, Niall, dinner's ready!" I hear my dad yell. I smiled at the two boys who were joking around. 

"Let's go." I say as we made our way to the dinner table. My dad's eyes went from Zayn, to the daisies that were in my hand. 

"I..uh..I gave them to her, Mr.Anderson." Zayn says shyly. My dad's laugh went from room to room, grabbing the flowers away from me. 

"I'll make sure Mark puts these in a vase and puts in your room Mel. Now you kids go ahead and sit down." He says as he walked towards the kitchen. I smiled as I was about to sit down, but Zayn stood behind me and pushed in the chair for me. 

"Thanks." I say, looking downwards, making sure he couldn't see my flushed face. Niall started giggling as Zayn took a seat next to me. 

"Your welcome." I hear Zayn finally say as my dad came into the room. 

"Zayn, I like you." My dad says. I turned to Zayn who was smiling like the cheshire cat from 'Alice in Wonderland'. 

"Thank you Mr.Anderson." He says politely. 

"Please Zayn, call me Stephen." My dad says as he began laughing. I smiled as I looked at Zayn. He looked back at me with his smile. I turned my head away. 

Looks - 10. But his personality? 1,000.