♀ the girl who screamed part 2

C H A P T E R 18

"So what are you suggesting we're just supposed to leave her here?"

It takes me a second, but among the realization,
I scream.

"Shhh! y/n, be quiet!" Hermione whispers visibly panicking. She glances from the hospital wing entrance to the girl on the bed frantically.

"You-you're telling me to, telling me to, to be quiet?" I ask, or more likely and ironically, scream. "How can you possibly expect me to, to-"

I abandon my sentence halfway through to catch my breath. The room was starting to spin, or maybe I was starting to spin. Wait, no. That doesn't even make sense, why would I be spinning? Whatever the hell was spinning has made me feel nauseous, lightheaded even. It's taking all my strength to not throw up right here.

"Hermione, she's... she's..."

I don't dare to finish my sentence. I don't want to verbally confirm it.

God it may as well be -50 degrees in here with all the shaking I'm doing. Though it also feels like we're in the dessert, I'm sweating buckets.

I try so hard to look away, to force my eyes to look at anything else. Like a magnet though, they keep getting pulled back to her. To her petite, limp body, her lifeless eyes. It's an image I know I'll never unsee.

"She's dead."

The moment the words leave my mouth the situation becomes all the more real. I said it, declared it, she's gone.

But how did this happen? Who could have possibly done this? She was just here, just nine hours ago. She was living, breathing. I saw her and I spoke to her and now she's...

dead?

With every second that passes, the air seems to get thicker and I'm struggling to breathe. Finally, I make myself walk up to her. Unsteadily I approach her hospital bed, and desperately I begin to shake her. As if by some miracle she was just sleeping and she would open her tired blue eyes and speak to me. However I've been shaking her for about ten seconds now, rougher every second. So violently in fact, that at the back of my mind I fear I may break her.

I know it's pointless. She's too far gone.

"We've got to tell someone," I say once I've collected myself enough to form a proper sentence.

"Tell someone what?" Hermione exclaims. "That we were going to check up on this first year psychic girl named Sara in the middle of the night and when we got to her we found her lying here dead?"

I flinch when she says the words dead, but rumors fly fast here at Hogwarts and I figure I'll soon be hearing this one quite often. I'd better get used to the idea.